Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a brand new Alterra 700 EPS for a great deal, I've never owned an arctic cat before but after I purchased it I looked at the reviews and man oh man are they brutal. Does anyone have a newer Alterra 700 they could give feedback on? Just curious.

·
Administrator
40,144 Posts
Ride it and enjoy. Great machine

Opinions are like hemorrhoids,
Sooner or later every a$$hole will have one

·
Registered
188 Posts
I love my Alterra 700. Love the composite racks, the clearance, the suspension. Build quality is good too. If I know I'm doing a 150km+ ride, I know I won't be aching after. Power steering is nice and the whole thing is basically snorkeled to the cowl. So most water holes we pass by there are no worries. It's also pretty sharp looking too.

Cons, the clutching is for work. It has enough trail power that I never need more though. The plush suspension steals from the "out of the hole" fun factor But it's not bad. The CVT and engine overbear the exhaust note, so the audible fun is gone. Not that it has anything to do with the actual rideability. Turn radius seems big but on par with Can-Am. The KQ however can turn on a dime.

I'm not a fan of constant repairs, so Can-Am is a tough sell for me. So my other atv is a King Quad 750. So when I compare, it's typically against the KQ, or the other people I ride with and their bottomless money pit Can-Am's. The KQ is sportier and more fun to ride. But a long day will be another long day of arthritis pain.

When people ask about my ATV's I say this, the KQ you drive, the Cat you ride. Love both but they are very different.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I bought a brand new Alterra 700 EPS for a great deal, I've never owned an arctic cat before but after I purchased it I looked at the reviews and man oh man are they brutal. Does anyone have a newer Alterra 700 they could give feedback on? Just curious.
I have a 2017 Alterra 700 XT EPS and I really like the machine. Suspension is awesome, ground clearance is great, seat is plush, and the 6 gallon tank is sweet. I'll be the last one out of our group to run out of gas. The steering it effortless, and there is little to no trail feedback to the bars. But I will say, after about 400 miles on the quad, it has started to randomly cut out. I haven't had to restart the machine, as after a few seconds it fires back up on it's own, but I need to pin point the issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Condensation in Your gas tank can do that, have you tried an additive to remove water from gas?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Similar situation where a deal on new 2017 alterra trv 700 was too good to pass up so bought it on the spot in 2018 -- reading the reviews afterwards however made me feel nauseous.

I now have 195 hours of aggressive driving on 2762 km of rocky terrain and feel slightly less queasy since it's run pretty flawlessly so far.

The left rear CV did blow up, (took a hard knock on a high speed roll over) and learned that there aren't enough arctic cat owners to warrent many aftermarket parts after 2014. So what is a $175 part on another machine cost me $500 to replace.

Replaced stock tires with 27x9 Kenda Bear Claws and what a difference. Ended up breaking trail all winter for the cult of Grizzly drivers who'd eventually get stuck and have to get out of my way. Do think the longer wheel base of the TRV helps as well. Just ordered a set of Camso x4s tracks so sure to get everyone in even more trouble this winter season.

In short, after riding mine for 2 years I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Arctic Cat. Enjoy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased a 21 Alterra TRV 700 b4 that i had a 2017 model with the smaller motor and was very happy with it too.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,089 Posts
I’ve always had Arctic Cats as well as a few other brands. Just keep up on routine maintenance and enjoy it!
For some reason the reviews on them that pop up when searching always seem to be negative. Glad you found the AC forums with AC riders.
I have two 2016 Alterra 550 XT quads that we use around the property almost every day.

Arcticfrost

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had no big issues with my 2017. Quality all around except the rear storage has poor design and functionality.

The whole machine is sturdy and uses bolts where everyone else uses plastic fasteners.

The rear storage hinge is cheap and the cool look kills the functionality.

Other than that, my only grips are with Textron, not the product.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have no problem with them using the current fasteners instead of plastic retainers and when i was looking at other brands recently it would seem other manufacturers are following suit!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

My wife has a 2020 Alterra and had a freaky issue with the power steering... It kinda had a mind of its own. We did a short and not deep water crossing and when she came out the other side the steering was very jittery...freaking out and moving on its own when giving it gas... Sound electrical to me. Has anyone had this before?
Thanks in advance.
Also anyone or groups riding near Kearny Ontario Oct 2, 3 2021 weekend? would like to tag along with...

HarleyHogg

·
Administrator
40,144 Posts
Do you still have warranty ?
Has it stopped doing it ?
Try di-electric grease on the connectors.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,089 Posts
Hello All,

My wife has a 2020 Alterra and had a freaky issue with the power steering... It kinda had a mind of its own. We did a short and not deep water crossing and when she came out the other side the steering was very jittery...freaking out and moving on its own when giving it gas... Sound electrical to me. Has anyone had this before?
Thanks in advance.
Also anyone or groups riding near Kearny Ontario Oct 2, 3 2021 weekend? would like to tag along with...

HarleyHogg
Pull all your connections and dry them out. Unplug your battery overnight then see if it works like normal. You should dielectric grease all the connections before going through water. It may have fried the EPS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts