Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sled has 1100 easy miles and it sat for 2 weeks since i rode it last, noticed a puddle of antifreeze under the engine, without time to look into till the weekend, any problem areas i need to know about, or where to start looking, thanks in advance Rick

·
Registered
2018 zr 8000
319 Posts
I’m not sure if it was on my 12 or my 18 but one of the hose clamps by the jack shaft ( front heat exchanger) was loose. I was able to tighten 2 full turns. They were all loose but that was the worst one. It was an easy fix let’s hope that’s all yours is

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not sure if it was on my 12 or my 18 but one of the hose clamps by the jack shaft ( front heat exchanger) was loose. I was able to tighten 2 full turns. They were all loose but that was the worst one. It was an easy fix let’s hope that’s all yours is
were you able to do it from up top or did you drop the skid plate?

·
Registered
2018 zr 8000
319 Posts
I’ve repaired 2 front heat exchanger , both on skidoo’s. Had to remove drive shaft. Left heat exchanger on machine and welded it. I don’t know how hard it would be to actually remove it from a cat. To do it properly it does have to be welded.
A couple of years ago we were on a week long trip in Quebec and buddy through a stud in the front heat exchanger and I had some JB weld in my tool kit and patched a 1/4 inch hole with it Stuff works great

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i took it in, because i could not find the leak, the welds on the front heat exchanger failed, causing the leak, had it welded without taking the sled apart, there was a puddle under it this morning, so he started pulling it apart and found another leak where the gas line rubbed thru the heat exchanger on the front side, it must be aluminum from looking at the pic he sent me, but, i am not happy, as this is a factory fault, it is gonna cost me around $1500 now to get this fixed and i dont even have 1000 miles on it yet, the guy i took it to, thought it was brand new, because i take care of my stuff and dont beat them.

·
Registered
2018 zr 8000
319 Posts
You have the same sled as me. There was a service bulletin about the fuel line rubbing on chassis. The fix was installing a piece of foam under fuel line.Fuel line also had to be moved a tiny bit because it was rubbing on some plastic
Automotive tire Organism Automotive lighting Font Terrestrial plant

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Advertising

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The blue arrow shows you where the fuel line is rubbing on the plastic guard. I was lucky and it only damage plastic sheathing around fuel line View attachment 370457
Mine had the foam already and it rubbed right thru according to the mechanic, i have never seen a sled so torn apart before, i went to look at it yesterday, heat exchanger alone is $500, the welder tried 3 times in awkward spot, and could not get it, it was leaking in 3 spots

1 - 10 of 10 Posts