Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah the black angles are what I made. The exhaust clamps have 2 holes so I drilled holes in the rack and put a bolt in the front hole and used a piece of threaded rod for the back hole to make the rack sturdy. Then just used some threaded plastic knobs to tighten them down.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I use two aluminum water bottles I bought on Amazon. Each hold 34 oz. I made a rack and use 3" exhaust clamps to hold the bottles. Works pretty slick.
Unfortunately doesn't fit in the tunnel bags many of us long trail riders use. These water bottles mount right where the tunnel bag is supposed to be and most of these have plastic caps which shatter in cold temps. This is the problem with all these water bottles, They hold up now, but not in the very cold and long rides. Stainless steel does though

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts
I use two aluminum water bottles I bought on Amazon. Each hold 34 oz. I made a rack and use 3" exhaust clamps to hold the bottles. Works pretty slick.

Awesome idea ! You just gave me an idea for my bear spray canisters on the quad

Reactions: ericwag171

·
Registered
293 Posts
I guess I need more coffee, but I don’t understand the need for this. Unless you are doing a 500+ mile loop with no access to oil....

Total mileage this year was 1200 miles, and starting off with 3/4s of a gallon this year, after topping off the oil from the previous year. I still have a splash left in the gallon. Yes I ride hard, when I can.

More coffee!!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I guess I need more coffee, but I don’t understand the need for this. Unless you are doing a 500+ mile loop with no access to oil....

Total mileage this year was 1200 miles, and starting off with 3/4s of a gallon this year, after topping off the oil from the previous year. I still have a splash left in the gallon. Yes I ride hard, when I can.

More coffee!!!
Exactly! We always have support vehicles when we run long distance saddle bag type trips so I toss my oil in with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 800 and get a little over 300 miles out of a tank of oil before my light comes on. The c-tec2 oil isn't always available at the places I fill up so just want to make sure I have enough. So for a 500 mile loop it's just about right.

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
Cool Oil Storage Ideas

There are some cool ideas in this thread.
It isn't about the debate whether or not to carry oil for me. I carry oil. It is nice insurance.

One thing to note. I have tried quite a few methods over the years. Oil will leak if given a chance. Test your container before you ride. Fill it with oil and let it sit upside down for a few days.

I tried to use containers that had a slight leak. It doesn't work even if you tape the cap tight. Oil eats up the tape glue. It turns into a gooey mess.

·
Registered
232 Posts

More coffee!!!

I have a 1996 ZRT 800 that really likes oil. Have put on a few different pumps, better now but it is still hungry. Never fouls a plug, so I give it what it wants. Just get nervous when the lite comes on.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
You must have monster size tunnel bags. I have big tunnel bags and would still have room for that setup. Most long haulers I’ve seen have mid size tunnel bags and saddle bags
That's right bud, it won't fit and yes we have monster bags for our long trips. And we don't have room for those on 129's but for others it might work, just not us

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
Old thread, but I'm thinking about options for the coming season.
I've seen some info about quick lock bag systems that also offer an oil caddy. Has anyone tried one? Likes, dislikes?

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
Old thread, but I'm thinking about options for the coming season.
I've seen some info about quick lock bag systems that also offer an oil caddy. Has anyone tried one? Likes, dislikes?
Small skidoo linq gas can and white mounting adaptors. In fact I think doo makes a can for oil.

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
A small gas can would do the trick too. I see that there is a linq oil caddy for their system. I've only seen the marketing for that caddy. I'm just curious to hear some real world feedback.
Sometimes the marketing hype doesn't match real world experience.
Anything mounted to the tunnel gets bounced around and abused. Do they hold tight enough to be durable and not leak over time? I'm also curious to see how the those caddies pour. It might seem silly, but dripping mess of oil seems worse than gas dripping.

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
A small gas can would do the trick too. I see that there is a linq oil caddy for their system. I've only seen the marketing for that caddy. I'm just curious to hear some real world feedback.
Sometimes the marketing hype doesn't match real world experience.
Anything mounted to the tunnel gets bounced around and abused. Do they hold tight enough to be durable and not leak over time? I'm also curious to see how the those caddies pour. It might seem silly, but dripping mess of oil seems worse than gas dripping.
Yeah they hold solid to the tunnel. You can also put a lock, zip tie, bolt through the latch to make sure it does open on accident. Most of my friends have run the linq for a long time and have never had an issue with them coming loose. The linq is probably the best storage system made for the snowmobiles

21 - 37 of 37 Posts