Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2019 ZR 6000 Limited. How is everyone taking extra oil? Is there room in the body for a caddy? I see the tank is aluminum without a sight glass. I hope I'm not being a moron but I'm used to an F7 that has the old plastic reservoir and ample room for a caddy. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The tank holds over 3 quarts and mine at least can go about 1100-1400 miles on a gallon of oil so you really do not need to carry oil with you unless you are going more than 500 miles. I have done saddle bag trips of over 300 miles both ways and never even looked at my oil until I was home.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The tank holds over 3 quarts and mine at least can go about 1100-1400 miles on a gallon of oil so you really do not need to carry oil with you unless you are going more than 500 miles. I have done saddle bag trips of over 300 miles both ways and never even looked at my oil until I was home.
Ditto! Once broken in, it’s scary how little oil these 600s use. I still have a splash left in my gallon I bought in the fall. And that counts putting a third of a gallon in before riding this winter. Almost 1000 miles and still going.

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 Ltd, ATAC, Storm 150
158 Posts
Unless you are going well over 500 miles per day you shouldnt need to carry oil. I did a backpack trip through wisc for 3 days and did take a bag of oil with me on that trip. Put it in PowderKeg box on tunnel. No issues.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that's great to hear how efficient these are on oil consumption. I know it's going to be a little fat on mix until its broke in. Has anyone swapped out the plugs after the first 400 miles to a fresh set or isn't it necessary?

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 Ltd, ATAC, Storm 150
158 Posts
As mentioned, be careful on break in. On mine the oil light came on after the first hundred miles. Once broken in, I only add some every 500 miles just to be sure. The others are right, sips oil after break in.

·
Super Moderator
9,277 Posts
Just an FYI. The reservoir is actually magnesium. Might help anyone that gets the idea to repair one. :eek:hmy_old:

The range estimates are pretty optimistic. They are good on oil. Not sure if I would plan on 500 miles.

I do long trips with 800 sleds and need oil earlier. So, I carry oil. I tried to carry the oil bags packed tight without the best results. The cap is very light weight on the bags. I had some break even with duct tape around the cap.

I have a mid size tunnel bag that I use to carry full gallon jugs. I use jugs because I need enough oil for the whole riding group. Only carry the oil on one sled. I pack the jugs super tight with other supplies and foam between everything. A jug that moves will eventually break.

I know some riders are using good aluminum bottles packed in with their gear. That is a good idea too. Nice and solid to take the abuse.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I tried to carry the oil bags packed tight without the best results. The cap is very light weight on the bags. I had some break even with duct tape around the cap.

I know some riders are using good aluminum bottles packed in with their gear. That is a good idea too. Nice and solid to take the abuse.
Favoritos this is the bottle I use , it's all welded stainless, and has a nice o-ring at the point of seal

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We ride from our cabin and usually do 100 to 150 mile loops at the most. Even if we did a 200 miler it appears there is plenty. I'll just keep a gallon in the garage for now and fill up every morning with some way to measure how much is going in to keep tract of consumption. I appreciate everyone's input. BTW these 600s are an absolute trail beast. So fast, light and nimble. A world of technology away from the 2000 ZR 600 I had back in the day.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Walmart in the camping section. There are a whole slew of neat stainless thermos's, drink glasses, etc there.

I keep my spare belt and tool kit in the seat compartment and quart of oil/Klotz octane boost in stock tunnel bag behind seat. Perfect fit.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Walmart in the camping section. There are a whole slew of neat stainless thermos's, drink glasses, etc there.

I keep my spare belt and tool kit in the seat compartment and quart of oil/Klotz octane boost in stock tunnel bag behind seat. Perfect fit.
Ya i saw the Stanley thermos there, also saw them at Ace Hardware. I know there are many stainless thermos, but this one is exactly the right height to fit in my factory tunnel bag, and of course it is all metal. Might be others that fit

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Found this at Gander Outdoors, think it was $21.00. Holds 30 fluid oz., has a cover like a child proof cap, and a really good seal. That is what it's made for so it should work. Have to wait till next year to find out.
thought about those but you still have to lay them over in a tunnel bag, oil has a tendency to seep and I always thought it could seep out of those, one I got sits right side up

·
Registered
232 Posts
It has an O ring seal that fits real tight, and you have to push down firmly and it turns hard. That's it's purpose in life so hopefully it does it's job. Couldn't find one like you have, guess time will tell. Wish I had it earlier in the winter.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
It has an O ring seal that fits real tight, and you have to push down firmly and it turns hard. That's it's purpose in life so hopefully it does it's job. Couldn't find one like you have, guess time will tell. Wish I had it earlier in the winter.
Mines got an O-ring too, a big fat one. You may have some trouble finding one because Stanley Thermos just have discontinued it. There is another Chinese company that copied it and there are still some on store shelves and a few still on FleaBay. I'll look and buy some because I want to get them before they are all gone. They are the only ones I found that fit in the factory tunnel bag.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts