Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2017 ZR6000 and for some reason the starter is not working. It is turning very slow, and the pinion is is not engaging. I already swapped batteries, which didnt fix the problem. I planned on removing it so I could inspect it and clean it, but it looks like a pretty difficult job.

Are the starters problematic on this model?
What is the likely cause of this problem?
What is the easiest way to remove the starter on this model?

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
1 weak battery
2 bad starter, a few people have had bad ones
3 ended up changing the ECU on my sled. The mechanic told me that there was not enough electrical output at the ecu to the starter. He said its a common problem and also a common misdiagnosis.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 weak battery
2 bad starter, a few people have had bad ones
3 ended up changing the ECU on my sled. The mechanic told me that there was not enough electrical output at the ecu to the starter. He said its a common problem and also a common misdiagnosis.
Thanks for the help.
In this case, I'm pretty sure the ECU has enough output because I can definitely hear the solenoid clicking on. I also shorted the solenoid with a screwdriver and it still would not spin fast enough.

Any thoughts on the best way to get access to the starter on a ZR6000? fFom the top... from underneath.....remove the belly pad?

·
Registered
274 Posts
@Admin, this thread belongs in the ProCross / C-Tec area, not the ZR area. He can get more responses there....

@bgonzo, Try searching the ProCross area or the C-Tec only area. There have been posts about the starter there.

·
Registered
11,596 Posts
@Admin, this thread belongs in the ProCross / C-Tec area, not the ZR area. He can get more responses there....

@bgonzo, Try searching the ProCross area or the C-Tec only area. There have been posts about the starter there.
I’ll get it moved

·
Administrator
38,419 Posts
This is moved.

Reactions: SteveCZ

·
Registered
869 Posts
Try lubing the bendix, also I had a similiar issue and it was a loose ground, Check the wires to the starter and check where it grounds to the machine, mine was near the recoil.

Reactions: JLR82
1 - 7 of 7 Posts