Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2017 zr120 new last year. Ran it all winter without a problem, although it really doesn’t like cold starts.
Ran it out of fuel at the end of the year. Parked it in the shop all summer. There is maybe 20-30 hours on the thing.

It will not start now unless I put a bit of fuel in the spark plug opening. Tank has fuel, there is fuel coming out of the line into the carb.

Key is on run, kill switch is on run, fuel line switch is on, tether cord is attached. Am I missing something?
Or do I really need to open that carb up

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you removed the fuel line that feeds the carb to ensure free flowing fuel - no blockage from inside the tank? That's the first thing I do before yanking carbs after having a couple petcocks and fuel pumps fail... And figuring that out after I went through the carb lol.

You said it's always been a hard starter in the cold... Did the choke make any difference at any temperature?

When you pour the gas directly into the cylinders it's starts - does it stay running and rideable, or just sputter out less than a minute later?

If yes to "runs and rideable", when it's warm will it fire back up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I pull the fuel line off the carb, there is fuel coming out of it. There is gas going into the carb, I drained the bowl in case I flodded it, but nothing I do makes a difference.

It will only run for a few seconds when I put fuel in the cylinder. It has not been rideable this winter.

Last winter, the choke was required when starting cold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, sadly, the right way to do it is likely to remove, disassemble, soak in something like chemtool carb cleaner, ensure all passages are clear using small wire and compressed air, then reassemble. Sorry man.

You could try draining it completely, then filling it with Yamaha carb cleaner, from the fuel inlet on the carb (you'll have to set up an IV type rig with a small funnel and fuel line) but only let that stuff sit inside the carb for like 30 minutes or so, it's really nasty stuff. That may get you going for now, but no guarantee it'll be completely clean, ya know?

·
Registered
22 Posts
No chance of a mouse/critter nest somewhere in the intake plenum preventing enough air flowing through to draw the gas with it, is there?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing in the air box. I even removed the foam filter and tried starting it.

I was really hoping there is a safety switch I’m forgetting somewhere, this doesn’t make sense.

I can’t believe I need to clean that carb on a machine with less than 30 hours on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, you could always quick remove the plug, set the electrode on a ground (if you don't have the tool... Couple bucks at the parts store for checking spark) and pull the cord to ensure spark!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already checked that... spark, fuel, air.

The fuel isn’t getting from carb to engine.

It wouldn’t run on the cylinder fuel without spark anyways

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yup - Most fuel these days is about expired by the time it leaves the pumps, what with all the "cleaning agents" added

Sorry you had to yank the carb, but sure am glad you got it sorted!

·
Registered
141 Posts
After one season, your new sled is no longer new and unless you treat the fuel system prior to spring storage, there are no guarantees come fall for a clean start.

·
Registered
112 Posts
On my sons 2019, it had hard starts and off idle issues. Unplugged the throttle safety switch, problems were gone. So I removed the throttle flipped and superglued a small thin piece of plastic to the flipper contact area....problem seems to be resolved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts