Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 m8000 continues to stall going into reverse. I have the belt off. New reeds. Checked compression. Set throttle position sensor. Reverse switch ohms out properly. What else should I be checking I’m stumped and a lot of the forums I’ve been reading point towards everything I’ve checked. Any help would be great thanks

·
Administrator
2,582 Posts
There is a procedure using either a tps setting tool, or the lap top diag tool when replacing the tps.
You NEVER set the idle with the tps or throttle bodies, unless you are going in trying to fix what someone else screwed up by playing with somthing they shouldn't have touched.
BUT there is never a reason to re-set the tps. It doesn't change, it doesn't need adjustment. On top of that sensors are amazing reliable, in the last 20 years I've seen 2 or 3 500 sno pro sensors go bad, that's it. To make it worse they are outrageously expensive.

·
Administrator
2,582 Posts
You need to troubleshoot this like you would a hard start.
Is the throttle cable adjusted to spec?
You said 130 psi on your gauge, what other engines have you recently tested with that gauge, and what did you get for results?
What is the fuel pressure?
did you take the reeds out and inspect them, or just look through the airbox?

·
Administrator
2,582 Posts
This is the testign procedure, not the adjustment procedure. Proper adjustment is done with the throttle plate fully closed.
TPS Test Procedure:
On the 4000/8000 before using the TPS adjustment tool, verify its battery condition. The battery used in the tool is a 9-volt battery. To check battery condition, use a digital volt/ohmmeter set on DC volt scale. Test between the adjustment tool black and red jacks. Insert the red lead of the digital voltmeter into the red jack of the adjustment tool and the black lead of the digital voltmeter into the
black jack of the adjustment tool. The green power light of the analyzer should now be illuminated. If voltage is found below 4.9 volts, replace the battery.
NOTE: The Test Harness must be plugged into the analyzer for testing voltage. Always verify battery voltage is at least 4.9 DC volts before testing TPS.
1. Using Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Adjustment Tool Kit, connect its wiring harness to the TPS.
2. Connect the red and black digital voltmeter leads to the white and black jacks of the TPS adjustment tool.
3. Ensure that the throttle cable/control rod has the proper amount of free-play.
4. With the throttle in the idle position, compare the reading on the voltmeter to the chart. If the reading is within prescribed specification, proceed to step 6.

Model:8000
Idle 0.710-0.818
Full-Open3.472-4.048

5. Compress the throttle lever slowly to the full-open position. The meter reading should show a smooth rise in voltage all the way to the full-open position. If the voltage seems to be erratic or doesn’t meet the prescribed specification, repeat this procedure several times to confirm results.
NOTE: If at any point throughout the throttle range the meter reads no voltage (open), hold the throttle lever in that position. If the voltage does not return, the throttle body must be replaced.
6. If the full-open throttle voltage remains erratic or out of specification, proceed to the appropriate Adjusting TPS.
7. If the TPS is within the prescribed specification, disconnect the adjustment tool harness from the TPS. Connect the snowmobile TPS harness to the TPS.
NOTE: Before installing the TPS harness connector, apply dielectric grease to the connector pins.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the testign procedure, not the adjustment procedure. Proper adjustment is done with the throttle plate fully closed.
TPS Test Procedure:
On the 4000/8000 before using the TPS adjustment tool, verify its battery condition. The battery used in the tool is a 9-volt battery. To check battery condition, use a digital volt/ohmmeter set on DC volt scale. Test between the adjustment tool black and red jacks. Insert the red lead of the digital voltmeter into the red jack of the adjustment tool and the black lead of the digital voltmeter into the
black jack of the adjustment tool. The green power light of the analyzer should now be illuminated. If voltage is found below 4.9 volts, replace the battery.
NOTE: The Test Harness must be plugged into the analyzer for testing voltage. Always verify battery voltage is at least 4.9 DC volts before testing TPS.
1. Using Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Adjustment Tool Kit, connect its wiring harness to the TPS.
2. Connect the red and black digital voltmeter leads to the white and black jacks of the TPS adjustment tool.
3. Ensure that the throttle cable/control rod has the proper amount of free-play.
4. With the throttle in the idle position, compare the reading on the voltmeter to the chart. If the reading is within prescribed specification, proceed to step 6.

Model:8000
Idle 0.710-0.818
Full-Open3.472-4.048

5. Compress the throttle lever slowly to the full-open position. The meter reading should show a smooth rise in voltage all the way to the full-open position. If the voltage seems to be erratic or doesn’t meet the prescribed specification, repeat this procedure several times to confirm results.
NOTE: If at any point throughout the throttle range the meter reads no voltage (open), hold the throttle lever in that position. If the voltage does not return, the throttle body must be replaced.
6. If the full-open throttle voltage remains erratic or out of specification, proceed to the appropriate Adjusting TPS.
7. If the TPS is within the prescribed specification, disconnect the adjustment tool harness from the TPS. Connect the snowmobile TPS harness to the TPS.
NOTE: Before installing the TPS harness connector, apply dielectric grease to the connector pins.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is for my brothers sled. He has the manual so he went through the procedure for the tps. We have used the gauche for various sleds for compressions. The reeds are brand new v force reeds. He was having hard start issues as well when the sled gets warm. The next thing would be to check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Greg B was saying in another thread that the vforce need some time to break in, until that happens the sled will act weird.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We finally solved the problem. He had a recoil rope break a few seasons ago and a piece of the rope got stuck behind the flywheel. It ended up pushing the coil contacts away from the flywheel eventually loosing contact

·
Registered
1 Posts
We finally solved the problem. He had a recoil rope break a few seasons ago and a piece of the rope got stuck behind the flywheel. It ended up pushing the coil contacts away from the flywheel eventually loosing contact
I broke a recoil rope last weekend and now have the same issue you have. You are talking about the ignition sensors that are on the outside of the fly wheel or did you have to take the magnet off to see what you are talking about?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I broke a recoil rope last weekend and now have the same issue you have. You are talking about the ignition sensors that are on the outside of the fly wheel or did you have to take the magnet off to see what you are talking about?
my brother ended up fixing it I wasn’t there to help him at the time. He said the two pickups that runoff The flywheel were no longer making contact. I believe he had to remove the flywheel to get at them properly

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello, I got a 2017 arctic cat m8000 with 1380km on it. I had changed out the wiring harness in April to a non estart one. Now when I try to go into reverse it dies on my and when I do finally get it in reverse it does going back into forward. What could cause this dealership couldn’t figure it out after a $650 bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts