Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, My 4000 is drinking oil. My buddy has the exact sled and his is doing it as well. I went 90 miles and burnt a litre of oil. How do you adjust the oil pump on a ZR 4000.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Up in front of the motor below the exhaust manifold is the pump. There is a rod connected to it that needs to be removed and lengthened. No more than a couple turns at at time.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Once you loosen the inside Jam nut (closest to the pump) you should be able to adjust the outside nut (which is actually a hollow bolt) in or out to correct the alignment. Retighten jam nut when done. Don't remove the control arm.

·
Registered
104 Posts
how many miles are on your sled? I broke mine in this past weekend and put about 560 miles on, it did seem to burn alot of oil, then it slowly tappered back the usage.

I noticed that these seem to be more thirsty then my 2011 sno pro 500, unless I'm just being hyper sensitive to fuel usage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Once you loosen the inside Jam nut (closest to the pump) you should be able to adjust the outside nut (which is actually a hollow bolt) in or out to correct the alignment. Retighten jam nut when done. Don't remove the control arm.
Good info here, does turning the rod in then decrease oil usage, and then assuming that turning the rod outwards will make it consume more oil?

I broke a new 2015 400RR in last week and put about 560 miles on, it seemed to really burn oil at first, then it seemed like it started to burn less.

There isn't any pre-programmed chip or anything where the sled will burn it up, then at a certain hour mark or mile mark throttle that usage back?

I noticed that it seems to be pretty thirsty too

·
Registered
651 Posts
That is way different than what is on my Firecat. You have to remove it to lengthen it. That is the way it should have been all along.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So my buddy (who has the same sled) had the jam nut right loose, actually off with the lock washer, and he could not budge the top nut. The rod is threaded, but he could not turn the top nut. Maybe he needed to try harder???? I dunno Is the threaded rod loc tighted? I dunno I just need 100% conformation that is the way to adjust it, is by turning that top nut? Thanks..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is way different than what is on my Firecat. You have to remove it to lengthen it. That is the way it should have been all along.
The Firecat is different, so don't assume. I am not trying to bash, but I don't want wrong information when I am screwing with the oil injection.:Bangin:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK... The Jam nut was easy to take off, but the adjuster nut would not turn. Would it have loc tite?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Funny you say this gdub41

I noticed that these seem to be more thirsty then my 2011 sno pro 500, unless I'm just being hyper sensitive to fuel usage.

As I have both sleds and I find the 2011 is a lot better on gas then the 2016.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I dropped my 4000RR off at my local dealer the other day for a faulty oil tank sensor, and they took a look at the pump and adjustment and I'm set at 75% which is good with me.

I'm not going to adjust it as it's running pretty darn good how it is. But I'd be curious to see if other 4000 owners are drinking more fuel then their sno pro's did.

Also I learned that there is a sight glass on the oil tank, which is a nice feature as well.

Always takes time to learn a new sled, but I will admit I'm smiling ear to ear and corner to corner with my new 4000RR.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did say my 2011 sno pro 500 is easier on gas then my 4000rr, and also you say dealer turned pump down to 75 percent can you eleaborate on that? Any chance you have a pic of the line on your pump how they line up at full throttle?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I did say my 2011 sno pro 500 is easier on gas then my 4000rr, and also you say dealer turned pump down to 75 percent can you eleaborate on that? Any chance you have a pic of the line on your pump how they line up at full throttle?
My dealer didn't adjust it, it was already set from the factory at that spec, and they said that falls right in line of where it needs to be.

I don't have a pic, but when I go and pick it up on Saturday I'll snap a pic, I'm a little mythed too as to why cat put a aluminum oil tank on these, and not just a clear plastic one, sure the sight window is a nice feature, but the clear tank is way easier to read.

What are you guys getting for total miles out of a tank of fuel?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I couldn't tell you what I get for mileage to a tank as I just add the gas to them. My twin boys ride the sleds in a field. I usually watch or ride my wife sled. That would be great if you could take a pic of the pump to show us where the lines are we would appreciate it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It looks like this.. The top jam nut does not adjust, so how do you make an adjustment. Do you remove the control arm, then adjust?
Um it's a cable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts