Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a 2016 xf high country 8000. i've really been loving the sled however the sled seems to be getting very poor fuel consumption. Trail riding i can usually go about 50-60 miles before my fuel gauge starts flashing. Some of the guys i ride with run a 2016 m8000 and they have been doubling my range. Sled now has 1,600 miles on it. I never noticed a difference from the break in period. oil consumption is within what i would assume is acceptable.

Thoughts? is this normal?

·
Registered
216 Posts
i recently purchased a 2016 xf high country 8000. i've really been loving the sled however the sled seems to be getting very poor fuel consumption. Trail riding i can usually go about 50-60 miles before my fuel gauge starts flashing. Some of the guys i ride with run a 2016 m8000 and they have been doubling my range. Sled now has 1,600 miles on it. I never noticed a difference from the break in period. oil consumption is within what i would assume is acceptable.

Thoughts? is this normal?

That is NOT normal at all. I have 2015 xf high country 8000 sno pro and I do a mix of trail and off trail. That mileage is horrible. Something screwy is going on. Is your track too tight?

I'd think your track is too tight potentially or there is a clutch issue. Does it come to a nice rolling stop?

Prior to this sled I had a 2007 crossfire 800 sno pro, fuel was about the same as on my new sled. This newer sled is more capable so I find myself in deeper snow more often and that will use a little more fuel. But what you're showing is not even close to what you should be getting. Checked your belt at all?

I will say this, I do burn through more hyfax, in a certian spot if the conditions aren't great. These high countries like the the deep snow.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a '13 high country 800 and I generally get about 100 miles per tank riding trails and jumping off and playing in deeper stuff quite often but I also ride pretty hard. If I just sat on the sled and went down the trail I'd probably get 15mpg or so but I think I'd get so bored I'd fall asleep at the handlebar!!

My wife rides an '07 crossfire 800 and she never goes off trail or hammers on the throttle and she gets double the mileage that I get.
Hers is the regular 800 and mine is the H.O.

There is A LOT of rolling resistance on a snowmobile that saps power and causes poor mileage and it only takes a couple of those things to be off for it to get worse and cause an issue like you're having, like snopro said, check track and clutching. They're the simplest to do.

Normally this type of issue would happen on older/higher mileage sleds and I'd say check skid bearings, drive bearings, chaincase tension, belt deflection/alignment but yours is only 3yrs old.

Have you ever had ECU 17 code flash on your gage? That code is for the exhaust temp sensor in the expansion chamber and when it stops working it'll flash that code and use 30% more fuel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you took the time to actually figure out your mileage? Your low fuel sensor may be coming on early. Hard to help, or determine if you have an issue without data.. when my 15 XF starts blinking, i've still got 4-5 gallons left and can go another 50+ miles

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just replaced my hyfax and I noticed less rolling resistance. The more they wear down, the potentially rougher they get. Check your hyfax.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
sounds to me like its consuming fuel pretty good< LOL
as its using a lot no??
I am gathering the complaint is, you are NOT getting good MPG's
as the consumption of fuel is pretty great no?? HAHA!

all kidding aside
MY question to you is, is this sled still ion break in mode for one??

Next, when you DO fill up, HOW many gallons is the tank taking,
have you actually hand calculated a few tanks of fuel to get a ball park on your MPG's

if not, you need to start here
I know some gauges are not all that accurate and then when you fill, it only takes a fraction of the fuel, the gauge was showing was missing!

Other things to think about, is what is the rpm's doing when riding, are you over reving and wasting fuel?
how does the belt look, ?

are you riding more off trail than ON trail?
as off trail you will burn a LOT more fuel than trail riding!

and as always how thumb happy one is, can effect fuel use a LOT,so, pending how your riding, this might explain SOME of the over use of fuel but not all

if your numbers are right that is
so to rule things out best, you need more accurate info on REAL MPG"S your getting

·
Registered
546 Posts
Granted, nobody has said peep on this thread in awhile but I have a small update on my high country, rode over 300 miles on a club trip this weekend with 34 sleds and I was all back of the bus bringing up the rear with the pokey riders and didn't hardly jump off trail and play in anything at all on day one. We rode 123.5 miles, I started with a full tank, rode that many miles and then filled up and it only took 5.8 gals. Do the math and that is 21.29 mpg. I've never gotten that before.

Day 2 we rode 192 miles and it took something like 9.4ish gals which gives about 18 mpg.

I rode day 2 pretty hard and I'm surprised it was even that good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I ended up having ECU17 flash.Horrid fuel econ. Googled ECU 17 (pipe sensor). Ordered the $23 gm duramax 02 sensor, swapped it and boom back to good.

I see someone up higher posted this as well.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had ECU 17 last year, it uses 30% more fuel. Glad you got the GM part. Cat gets enough of our $ as it is....

·
Registered
216 Posts
I ordered the cat one right away. Then did research and returned it. $150?!!?!? The GM duramax is $23... I'll be ordering a few for spares on my and my uncles sleds. That is SUCH a rip off!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just got it gutentite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
There's a lot of vibration in there and that's why I had to replace mine. It vibrated loose and was bouncing around.
But it's your choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts