Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to follow the service manual for electrical troubleshooting. I have identified most of the wiring harness connections.
The display diagnostic has these codes....P0562, C0064, P0121, U0155, Fuel Off. I realize these can all be related to low voltage.
The battery is fully charged, all fuses are good. The machine has only 71 hrs since it is used infrequently. There are no obvious damaged areas on the harness.
I disconnect the battery when not troubleshooting because I'm afraid of a shortage fire. At times POSR PIN is displayed. What is this referencing?
The closest service center is 3 hrs away. I'm at the point of just throwing parts at the problem. I have only a multi-meter for testing purposes.

Font Electric blue Auto part Family car Label

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
A battery can show a full charge 12.7 but still be bad. The only way to be sure is to have it load tested. Do you have a peak recording feature on your meter ?

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
I hate to see you spend money needlessly. Just get it load tested at any parts store for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx doorfx and ArticFrost. Had my 2 batteries tested...newest (purchased 2-21 that was in Cat when it cut off while reeling in unloaded winch) failed the load test. Older battery showed some power under load. Purchased new battery and after it was installed the Cat started beautifully. I have all electric connections uninstalled from the winch. Will leave it overnight and see what the morning brings. When I purchased the battery in 2-21, I also purchased a Moose Optimate3 charger/maintainer which I used when away from cabin. It could be just coincidence that the electric system failed while reeling in winch, but that is now my first line of inquiry.

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
Winches can draw up to 120 amps. When winching you must do it in small bursts and not continuous. The small charging system and small battery simply cannot keep up.
Warn recommends a full pull for 10 seconds requires a 10 minute cool down.

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts

Reactions: Mtngirl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The engine was running and I was reeling in empty line. As soon as I hit the button, the engine died and battery was killed. I had used the winch to rotate rock that weighted about 400 lbs. That rotation was just a few feet with duration of less than 1 min. I backed the Cat up to position it for another pull and decided I should reel line in so as not to drive over it. That's when it died.
We'll see tomorrow morning whether Cat will start. Thanks for the education.

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
Check your winch first. You may have a loose connection causing excessive amperage draw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I previously disconnected all electrical to/from the winch. The new battery is working great (knock on wood). Spent the afternoon collecting large rocks (under 50 lbs each) at the top of the property...all with the assistance of the Cat. Gotta leave the cabin fun for a few weeks. I'll remove the battery and leave it on the tender. Thank you so much for the help. I'll tackle the winch when I return.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts