Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
My understanding, unless something changed, the Arctic Cat 500 uses the Kymco 450 engine CVT. I purchased the stage 1 only. I cut and had a local welding shop fix my plate for me. I lightened my own rollers. If I had it to do again I might have just sent everything in. But, stage 1 made a huge difference to me on my machine. Way more than just shimming it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was mistaken on the shims. Seems my old post stated 2.0 mm not 2.2mm. I do think the machining made it feel to me like 2.5mm or more in performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
My understanding, unless something changed, the Arctic Cat 500 uses the Kymco 450 engine CVT. I purchased the stage 1 only. I cut and had a local welding shop fix my plate for me. I lightened my own rollers. If I had it to do again I might have just sent everything in. But, stage 1 made a huge difference to me on my machine. Way more than just shimming it.

Any chance you can further explain the drilling of the weights? I was kind of confused the way you said it drilling 2 holes all the way through 4 holes total? And did you by chance weigh them after you drilled then?

·
Administrator
36,313 Posts
Yes make sure you weigh them and make them exact. Yes drill all the way through the roller.
Yon also just remove two rollers directly across from each other. That will give you an idea what it will be like before you drill them out.
Read this

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, you tap the metal piece out of the plastic sleeve. Drill thru the weight, which is the center piece. I used a bench grinder to deburr the drilled holes before reinstalling. You can also buy lighter weights. Drilling is lots cheaper. The lighter the weights the more rpm it takes to engage.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I asked epi and they don't make weights for that clutch. I emailed Adam from airdam yesterday and within 4 hours we had a 6 email conversation going, he was very helpful and informative so I have decided to send him my weights, sheaves and plate. Can't wait to get it all back. The other thing I'm doing is taking apart my secondary and move the spring one notch to add more tension

·
Administrator
36,313 Posts

·
Administrator
36,313 Posts

·
Administrator
36,313 Posts

·
Administrator
36,313 Posts
Yes, you tap the metal piece out of the plastic sleeve. Drill thru the weight, which is the center piece. I used a bench grinder to deburr the drilled holes before reinstalling. You can also buy lighter weights. Drilling is lots cheaper. The lighter the weights the more rpm it takes to engage.
Engagement is controlled by the wet clutch.
Lighter rollers delay up shift which keeps your rpm higher. It puts the engine in a better power band.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have seen those vids before, that EPI video I shared earlier in this thread shows you how to do secondary spring as well on the Kymco LFA 5#1 specifically.

I would just like to say this is my first time using this forum and you guys have been awesome, thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stage 1 is the machining of the sheaves and Stage 2 is fabricating the plate. I probably wouldn't go any higher unless I planned on beefing some other items which im not

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
How long did he say it would take?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
You should have asked...

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Especially if you searched his reputaion for customer service. Chic...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Especially if you searched his reputaion for customer service. Chic...

I don't mind waiting really, plus everyone said they can never get a hold of him, first time I emailed him we sent about 6 or 7 back and forth and he was extremely helpful and honest.... I'm willing to take my chances

21 - 38 of 38 Posts