Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off my father purchased a 2015 zr 7000 with 1200 miles this past fall. First trip out the sled ran awesome but we had to jump it (or so we thought) after we rode 50 miles and stopped for lunch. I could hear the fuel pump turn on, could hear the actuator under the seat click, but I couldn't hear anything under the hood as in the starter even trying to engage or spin. I have never heard the starter grind or have had any of the kickbacks I have read about. We have found that the sled will always start in the morning when it sits overnight but sometimes after a stop it doesn't want to start unless you start it almost immediately after shutting it off or tip it on its right side. This past weekend we were riding and stopped after 20 miles for a drink. Came out and it wouldn't start, tried jumping actuator and that didn't work, for some reason while I had the sled tipped on its right side at about a 70 degree angle it fired up no problem. So we decided to chance it and keep riding, next stop same thing. Sled wouldn't start until I tipped it to the right and after about 5 seconds turned the key and she fired up. It did this one more time at our third stop that night but after tipping it fired and we went straight home. The following morning it fires up just fine, we had two stops that day. At the first it wouldn't turn over until I tipped it on its side, at the second stop I couldn't get it to start while I had it on its side. I put two hand warmers on each side of the fuse box waited 5 minutes and still nothing. I then proceeded to remove the access panel while it was tipped at a 70' angle with my father holding the sled, jiggled the red wire on the starter and still nothing. About 20 seconds after I touched the wire we tried the key again and it fired up. Put the access panel back on and rode it straight home.

Does anyone have any input what could be the issue?

Ive been told replace relays in fuse box, but from my understanding I wouldn't even hear the actuator under the seat click if that was the case. I was also told that it could be the actuator itself, would it still click if its bad? Finally I was told the brushes or armature in the starter could be bad.

I have checked all the connections under the seat and they are clean and tight, my plan is to check the connections on the starter, replace the relays with the sealed polaris ones, replace the actuator, then last case replace the starter.

I am about to head back up to our place to bring it over to a friends who has a heated shop. I stopped by Kens Sports today and talked with one of there lead service guys, he agreed I had a good game plan and said they have good used starters if thats what the final determination of the problem is. To be safe I grabbed a new Polaris relay and starter actuator. Someone else mentioned maybe a bad battery? I talked to the guy we bought it from and he said it got a new battery in the fall of 18, but when its cold the sled cranks over with plenty of juice. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well got to cabin lastnight, sled fired up before the engine even made it a full rotation. Rode it about 15 miles to my buddys shop. Backed it into his shop, shut it off and tried to start and nothing just the click. Replaced actuator under seat, nothing. Tried moving relays around nothing. Looked at connections on starter, nothing. For ****s and giggles I replaced the battery with my buddys zr 8000 that was sitting in the shop and boom fired up. Did a quick ride with my buddy, stopped for dinner, stopped for a drink, and everytime I turned the key she would fire. Plan is to ride it for a full day with the 8000 battery in it, if I dont have an issue I am going to order a new battery for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick update, it ended up being the nut holding the hot cable onto the starter had worked itself loose and was bouncing aorund inside the rubber boot over the hot lead. Hence why if you tilted it a certain way it would sometime start, odd but true. Got that put back on and tightened, and has been good ever since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts