Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience changing a brake caliper on these sleds? Last year mine was sticking so I had my dealer rebuild the old caliper and then on my next trip it was still doing the same thing. This year I just bought a whole new caliper assembly and was just curious how difficult of a task it is and if there are any good tips about doing it before I got started. Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,396 Posts
its pretty easy
loosen the track
remove the secondary clutch, and rotor guard
take the snap ring off the drive shaft
un hook the brake line
3 bolts inside the tunnel hold the caliper on.

install is opposite, just use new copper washers when attaching the brake line

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Doesn’t sound to bad to do. Where do you get new copper washers at? Hardware store?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Three years ago at the 15k mile mark I had brake problems that included sticking brakes. I replaced the pads and my problems went away but at the time I did not know why. A year later (20k miles) I had occasional lack of braking authority. After examination I found a groove worn into the aluminum caliper housing where the pad backing plate contacts the housing. That explained everything. I removed the groove and the problem went away. The problem stayed away until I got rid of the machine. This might not be your issue but if it is please report it for everyone’s benefit.
82393BD5-1C6F-4E90-8EAA-94DB51E9325E.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the new caliper installed and all the air out of the lines but the lever won’t build any pressure? Is there something I’m missing?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got the new caliper installed and all the air out of the lines but the lever won’t build any pressure? Is there something I’m missing?
You need to reverse bleed it by pushing fluid up through the caliper to the master cylinder. Put a hose on a syringe and fill it with brake fluid. This will help get the system primed and then you can bleed normally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I did that this morning and still can’t get the lever to build any pressure. Is there anything I should of done to the caliper before I put it on?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok so I did that this morning and still can’t get the lever to build any pressure. Is there anything I should of done to the caliper before I put it on?
The service manual doesn't say anything about bleeding the brake fluid other than the standard method of depressing the lever and opening the bleed screw. Make sure you don't run the reservoir out of fluid.

You can try vacuum bleeding the system, that might help. Then try your syringe setup again. You can try to push and pull the fluid with the syringe, that helped me out. If you can't get it to firm up you may need to replace the master cylinder and/or rebuild the caliper.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had the same problem. I removed the air just like the manual said and I still couldn’t get a firm squeeze. Emptied reservoir 2 more times and all of a sudden it got hard. I thought I was doing something wrong but it just takes time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts