Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me start this by saying this could be a post in the 4 stroke forum as well. Same Yamaha 1100 (1049) cc engine for the all the 7000's I believe.

My 2015 Panteral 7000 LTD It was not running right, missing at times, wouldn't idle right, idle was too high for it to go into reverse. It had a whopping 300 miles on it. This started in 2016 and I really should have taken to dealer sooner except the sled and I were 3000 miles apart for most of the last two years. Well I took it to the dealer in November 2018 where I bought new and asked them to take a look. Unfortunately I waited too long and it was off warranty but I thought it would be a simple fix for such a low mileage sled so it would be worth it for them to take care of it for me. Aparrently I thought wrong.

Dealer had it for a month. They had a long list of diagnostic procedures they performed, the usual stuff, and shared with me their consultations with Arctic Cat themselves. But, the sled still would not run right or go into reverse. I let them know my confidence in them was waining when they told me to hang on, Arctic Cat said the ecu reflash was coming out any time, and that should take care of any issues, I said OK, do it when it comes out, but if that doesn't take care of it, wrap it up.

Well, the reflash didn't take care of it. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't start now and now they tell me Arctic Cat advises they replace the throttle body and injectors to see if that fixes it. My confidence completely gone, I decline, pay for their 7 hours of shop time, and pick it up.

Long story short, I got it back and did much of the same tests and diagnostics as the dealer, which included removing and cleaning chassis ground, but I noticed that the dealer did not remove and clean the ENGINE ground strap. So I removed it and cleaned it. Put it back together and all issues including rough idle, too high idle, no reverse instantly cleared up. Took the sled on a two day 300 mile ride xmas week after that. The sled ran better than it ever had, easy to start, smooth running and scary fast. Case closed. The root cause of the problem was a weak spark.

Lesson learned - make sure and check both the chassis ground and the engine block ground when diagnosing a sled. Hope this helps for anyone experiencing similar problems.

--JB

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is awesome that is was such an easy fix and thank you for sharing your story . i will remember that one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts