Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mud Pro 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, long time lurker and looking for some advice. Recently bought a 2015 Mud Pro 1000. Shortly after, bike wouldn't move without high revs, found out the clutch was worn/metal to metal. Replaced that. Then ended up with water in the gas (from a Jerry can). Drained everything, got it running and then two days later it simply quit and would not start. Could get it to fire on the back cylinder but not the front. Started stripping the bike down to pull the tank so we could inspect pump/filter. Found that there was evidence of mud in intake, caused us to yank the engine and get into it all the way. Found valve marks on the pistons, not terrible but clearly there. Also found pits in the gears. Now for the questions....
Would you guys rebuild with new rods/bearings/pistons/rings etc? Cylinders look fine. Minor scratches on piston skirt, just barely feel with finger nail.
The timing chain is notchy, not sure how to explain but I've changed car timing chains and they are smooth, this one won't hang straight.
I think the gears are going to get replaced too. We plan on keeping the bike for a long time so don't mind spending a little.

I've attached pictures, let me know what you think.

Gear Automotive tire Rim Engineering Bicycle part

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Wood Auto part

Motor vehicle Engineering Machine Human settlement Auto part

Automotive tire Drinkware Automotive wheel system Mason jar Metal

·
Administrator
40,384 Posts
It’s always a crap shoot with an engine that has been sunk.
The only way to do it right is to replace anything that looks worn.

·
Registered
2015 Mud Pro 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you. Started pricing things tonight and got a bit of a shock. Looks like it’s necessary though. Might go aftermarket (Wiseco) for piston. I’ve had good luck with them on dirt bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
make sure you check those valves they are probably bent... Betting the seller knew the issues and hid them when they sold you the machine...

·
Registered
2015 Mud Pro 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point, will pull the valves tonight and let you know. I agree the seller probably knew. Bike looked good, drove well, no way to see inside so its the risk we took and got burned. We did drive it for a few months without issue. The water in the gas made us take things apart. Glad to know now I guess.

·
Administrator
40,384 Posts
Replace the timing chain for sure, they stretch.

Reactions: thomps111

·
Administrator
40,384 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mud Pro 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ruh roh ! Looks like someone else had some bent valves too. From your 700? Any good story?

·
Administrator
40,384 Posts
No I just pulled the pic off the internet.
The best one I’ve seen is a Honda Civic that blew a timing belt. What a mess. Lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you're in that deep already, do what you know you should do. Yea it sucks to spend the money, but its better than spending more in three months after not doing the necessary now... Ive been there

·
Registered
2015 Mud Pro 1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with you. We are rebuilding the entire engine. I lucked out and found a parts engine with 900km on it (case was broken due to a forklift). Will use the good parts from it and purchase what I need. Hope to have it running this fall (depending on other obligations). Will definitely post my progress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts