Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my m8000 out to the mountains this past week and the first day we rode it ran great. The 2nd day it wouldn't start so put it in a heated area and put some isopropyl in the tank and then it ran in the afternoon. On the third day it would not start. After a disappointing trip have had it in my shop for a day and replaced the plugs (spark is good), drained out the fuel, and check to make sure the fuel pump was working which it is. Still won't fire. Has about 500 miles on it and a month out warranty. Any ideas on what the issue might be?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Worst thing you could do is put that isopropyl in the tank, thats straight ethanol something you don't want anywhere near your sled, now after trying to start it at least some has to have gotten in the fuel system. If you could verify you got all of that out , take the seat off and clear the lines and try starting with straight new fuel. You'll at least be back to square one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
some one on a thread said broken reeds hard to believe but possible keep us posted

It will still start with broken reed petals, hard starting for sure but it will go, unless the hood was improperly put on and it sucked in a very large amount of snow dust and destroyed both sides at the same time..... then it probably would not start but that is highly unlikely for both sets to go at the same time, usually its one side or another. Also if reeds went it would of ran like it was on one cylinder and not reved above 6000-6500 rpm the day it did run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
iso and eth are different but similar so if you were using pure premium fuel that shouldn't be a issue i seen guys on cats who do both and love it and say they never foul a plug or burn down just leave jumper wire on on or off how ever it was supposed to be the older cats that had that system. i would run a comp cheak if good then look at reeds since a guy said his dealer said it was his issue and other person said he changes many sets for people with 800's worth a try we'll see if anyone else chimes in and tells you otherwise good luck and keep us posted on what you find thanks there are many super sharp cat people here iv'e seen guys suck water crossing creeks and be ok after we took plugs out and pulled em over a bunch and not have trouble after it as long as ya don't hydraulic and bend a rod. one last thing may sound stupid but you do have good hot spark when you cheak for it right ? thanks

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still had starting issues last season after first day of riding in the mountains. Seems to have been moisture in the air box issue. Installed a Outerwears air box filter before going out west this year and had no issues with starting. This is a first since buying the sled new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took my m8000 out to the mountains this past week and the first day we rode it ran great. The 2nd day it wouldn't start so put it in a heated area and put some isopropyl in the tank and then it ran in the afternoon. On the third day it would not start. After a disappointing trip have had it in my shop for a day and replaced the plugs (spark is good), drained out the fuel, and check to make sure the fuel pump was working which it is. Still won't fire. Has about 500 miles on it and a month out warranty. Any ideas on what the issue might be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thought I would drop a helpful hint / thought to help others. I have a 2015 ZR 8000 Rode it about 300 miles the first weekend I bought this .( Bought used this year) about three weeks ago. Anyhow this passed weekend I went for a ride and shut it off , visiting etc with friends and it would not start . No spark not a simple hope of wanting to start . After being towed back to a spot where I could get it back in the trailer , I took it to the dealer . They claim the throttle safety switch cable was touted wrong and was pulling on it causing my problem . Going to pick up tomorrow , hoping that this takes care of the problem. Good luck finding out your issue, hope this helps others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts