Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2015 M6000 SnoPro 153 with 1600 miles on it. The guy told me he had the pistons replaced at 1400 miles due to the piston ring locator pins coming loose. Well, I have put about 300 miles on the sled this year and am now replacing the pistons and need to send the right side cylinder out for repair. Locator pins seemed to be in tact. Could this be from bad gas?
I have only used premium fuel and C-Tec2 oil. We did stop at a gas station that didn't have 93 octane but had 90 octane Rec fuel. I never got a warning light for Detonation.

I cant seem to find a place to send the right cylinder out for repair? Any recommendations?

Any ideas on what would cause this?

I am located in Grand Rapids, MI.

right cylinder1.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
The piston ring locator pins are on the piston slot side (injector side) of the piston, not the exhaust valve side you show. This is a picture of the pistons out of my 2015 Ctec 6000 after 10,500 miles. See the piston locator pins? I caught it in time, they were due. I have 1,000 miles on after rebuild. Send your cylinders to Millennium Technologies in Plymouth WI. They can fix 'em up and nikasil coat them. Cost is $225 each regardless of the condition. Check out their web site. I think they have them in stock for exchange at a cost of $240 each.

While you are waiting for parts, pull the engine and replace the mechanical water pump seal and look for wear spots on your coolant lines. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As stated above, the locator pins seemed to be the i and in tact. The previous owner said they went bad and he replaced at 1400 miles. I have only put on a little over 300 with just local train and field riding. Always used 93 octane fuel with the exception of the night it starting bogging in which the gas station only had 90 octane Rec fuel and 87 octane. I didn’t think the 90 octane Rec fuel would hurt being its ethanol free.

I called several companies today and nobody seems to have the cylinder in stock and the casting number doesn’t match anything they have in catalogs. 726 CA 1/1 is onbith cylinders. I’m sending it to Millennium Tech as they had thebest turnaround of 12-14 days.😣. Several others said 2-4 weeks depending on the extent of repair and how many others they get before mine would arrive. 🙄

·
Registered
139 Posts
Seems like you got some old non ethanol gas.
The Ctec engines are very power dense for stock engines, and cat has recommended 91 octane MINIMUM for that reason.
I know there is alot of E10 haters out there, but I truly believe it's way over blown.
I'd rather buy 93 E10 rather that 90 rec gas for several reasons. 1, the 90 doesn't meet spec. 2, rec gas isn't a high volume seller (unless your at a big marina) so it sits in the storage tanks long enough to fade octane.
Tough dilemma when you need gas and your choice is very limited.
Any one else have any problems at that gas up? What engines did they have?
Perhaps you saved the receipt and can address the issue with the gasoline retailer, sooner the better. Maybe get your gas checked to see what octane it really is, I'm sure some has the service or has test kits. Also regulating agencies could be contacted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I thought I was the only guy to blow up these 6000’s. My 2016 rxc went down , and my sons 2015 rxc went down. The 2015 was most likely bad gas!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I was the only guy to blow up these 6000’s. My 2016 rxc went down , and my sons 2015 rxc went down. The 2015 was most likely bad gas!
I’m pretty sure it was bad gas. My younger brothers skidoo blew up the next morning as well. We drained all the fuel from every other sled we had with us that day just in case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts