Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 550 XT that I'm doing some clutch maintenance on. Being a snowmobile racer for many years, as I'm working on the clutches I'm thinking of ways I can improve clutch performance. The ATV clutches are a little different than what I'm used to working on. Have any of you done any clutch tuning to the 550's? If so, what did you do and how did it effect performance? Thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
42,075 Posts
Speedwerx has a clutch kit for your machine. Lighter rollers, spacer , heavier secondary spring and heavier wet clutch springs. Makes a noticeable difference

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info doorfx. I've looked at those kits. I'm more of a DIY'er though. I'd like to try lightening the clutch weights, adjusting secondary spring, etc., that sort of thing. I see people have done that on the other Cat ATV's, but I haven't seen much specifically on the 550.

·
Administrator
42,075 Posts
It’s the same. Lighten the rollers by drilling them, which is what I did. Re-clock the secondary( quicker back shift). Add a shim from the hardware store.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Alloy wheel

Shipping box Rim Gas Bicycle part Circle

Gas Gadget Measuring instrument Machine Cable

Gas Machine Metal Titanium Engineering

Automotive tire Bicycle part Tool Rim Auto part

Musical instrument Keyboard Musical instrument accessory Wood Hardwood

·
Administrator
42,075 Posts
You can even modify the fixed plate if you can mig weld.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doorfx, thanks again! From what I've read, it looks like 5900 to 6100 should be the optimum shift rpm? Does that sound right?

·
Administrator
42,075 Posts
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Rectangle

·
Administrator
42,075 Posts
Your welcome!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered some green weights and a lighter secondary spring to experiment with and get the RPM's pulled down to where it should be. Right now on takeoff it's at 6500 and revs to 7200 RPM over a 500' distance. I'll post my results when I get it figured out.

·
Administrator
42,075 Posts
You can also drill the weights. An 1/8” bit drilling all the way through removes 1 gram.
see link

1 - 11 of 11 Posts