Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to site, sort of new to the Arctic cats in general being in Florida they aren't as common as the other big names. Anyways on to my current situation, I recently purchased a used trv400 with 120 hrs 800 or so miles I found on Facebook market place. Went looked at the bike rode it for quite a while maybe 15 minutes looked it over up and down and back again couldn't find anything wrong with it except minor cosmetic things that happen with used bikes. No leaks but as I was looking at the engine I noticed gasket material around the case and head and stuff so I inquired and the owner said that the case was leaking so he had it re sealed when he had the clutch and belt replaced. Buy the bike get it home ride around the neighborhood put a few miles on it up and down the roads. Weekend comes I take it out for a ride, no complaints so far bike is running perfect goes into gear great clutch and belt feel on point loving the bike at this point, as we ride on I start to go through a bit more get to a ditchline inch into nothing crazy (I don't ride hard). I'm only in 2wd with 26 inch tires start to spin the the mud so before putting it into 4wd I hammer the throttle and BAM! Something breaks and I loose power to the rear. So I think to myself ok most likely u joint. Throw in 4wd sure **** it pulls itself out. Ride it back to the house about 3 miles in front wheel drive at this point. Look up under the bike and no snapped u joints no broken CV's so my first thought is bevel gear, only thing I've read goes wrong with some of this things. So I pull the drive shaft and out falls the coupler with the outputshaft snapped off in it. My mechanic says it's the first time he's ever seem anything like it. We are all curious as to why this happened. I can't get ahold of the previous owner to find out who he had work on it so it's all a mystery I'll post pics of everything if I can figure out how. I pulled the motor and it's in the hands of my mechanic right now so I should get word this week if anything else let loose inside or possibly why this happened. Sorry for the long story but just wanted to show I'm gonna most likely be here for the long haul now that I'm fully involved in this project. My main reason for posting is just to see if anyone has come across this or any like this. Also anything I should do or change while I have to bike apart.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
If it was snorkeled like that when you got it, chances are it has been abused. Only reason to snorkel that tall is to go deep in the mud and water. Not sure why there is only two snorkels? If he had to have the clutch? And belt replaced , that is another sign that it was used hard. They just don’t wear out belts or clutches.
I’ve never seen a 400 snap that output shaft before.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Did not think a 400 had the power to snap a shaft like that.. Wonder if the guy that rebuilt it dropped it and put a hairline fracture in it? Obviously the guy that worked on it had no pride in his work leaving that much sealant all over the case. If that much is on the outside what is on the inside. The clutch failure could have been the same as mine and swamped the housing to many times with mud and it damaged the bushing on the clutch causing it to move crooked and blow belts but it took me 13000km to get to that point no 800. I only had 2 snorkels on my machine as well. Did not to the clutch exhaust because as long as the engine is running it has enough positive pressure to keep the water out...

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
^^^^ not always the case.
I had water infiltrate mine and cause my clutches to slip. Solely because I only snorkeled two.
Once I snorkeled the belt exhaust I never had an issue.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
I really want to know how you can break anything on a 400. Not a lot of miles on mine at 3300 but still on original axles and boots.

While you have it all apart, go through the harness and make sure all is good with no chafing anywhere.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
^^^^ not always the case.
I had water infiltrate mine and cause my clutches to slip. Solely because I only snorkeled two.
Once I snorkeled the belt exhaust I never had an issue.
And the off chance it’s stalls too.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
guess we were just lucky.. quite common for me to be bar deep on my machine only time i had a issue is hitting a mud hole a little to fast and it sucked me into the deep side sinking the front end and throwing me from the machine into the mud in the process hitting the kill switch... So i had a case filled with clay and water.. what a mess.. and thats what took out my clutch since i just drained it and rode the rest of the day instead of loading up and going home to clean it... On the extreme side the GF rode here machine with no belt exhaust snorkel from factory.. We did not realize for a year we just kept taking it back to the dealer with the issue that it was bogging out once and a while for a brief second and then fine. W could never figure out the issue when i rode it i never had the issue but i rode harder than she did.. when we finally found the issue we were doing about a km of swamp crossing that was fairly deep had no issue till the end when she had to back up to take another run to get out and nothing.. Yanked her out and pulled the drain plug.. A few of us flopped the machine on the side for a better look and one of the other guys pointed out that it was missing the exhaust completely... Funny enough the dealer world not warranty it saying it must have fell out... Told the dealer he was full if it as their was no way it could just fall out. I had to lift tank and plastics just to get the new one in..LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it was snorkeled like that when you got it, chances are it has been abused. Only reason to snorkel that tall is to go deep in the mud and water. Not sure why there is only two snorkels? If he had to have the clutch? And belt replaced , that is another sign that it was used hard. They just don’t wear out belts or clutches.
I’ve never seen a 400 snap that output shaft before.

Yeah I'm not saying it wasn't abused and I'd only expect them to be there for a reason lol just strange with only 120 hrs and 800 miles that an issue like this occured on a 400cc atv

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Probably ran big tires and had no throttle control. Wide open stuck and you catch a root ....

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Probably ran big tires and had no throttle control. Wide open stuck and you catch a root ....
but its a 400.. does it even have the torque to snap that..LOL... Iv been in some bad situations with the 500 and could never snap a shaft... i could slip the **** out of the belt..LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Far from it wasn't riding hard at all with 26 inch tires not to mention it's a 400 it doesn't have much power to spin the tires fast enough to snap an axle let alone the outputshadt inside the motor lmao.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts