Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new guy here. Not new to sleds though.. I picked up an all stock 2013 HCR 800 with 3600mi. Only modification is the 2015 spindles and a-arms on it and he included the 2013 setup as well. I'll have to admit I've never owned an Artic Cat until this one. I know the drill I should do my research before hand but I couldn't pass up the deal for it.. Compression checks out and so far everything looks spot on though it will need carbides. Overall very clean sled. From owning the other brands I know there are those certain things folks who ride them know what to look out for so if anything please let me know. Thanks.

70306422_434019753900221_1585305976943149056_n.jpg

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well I don't have experience with this sled but a few things are standard; people sell sleds because they think they don't run well anymore. So check engine mounts and any engine bump stops it may have, clean the clutches and check the alignment, check that he hasn't dropped the preload on the front skid shock to the lowest setting (it plows straight ahead then), change gearcase oil and its a good idea to order a new seal so you can open it up and check out the bearings and gears. Check the skid bearings, clutch rollers, and if its not titanium springs in the clutches getting new springs is often a good idea (they weaken with age so especially if you're a heavy fella then it'll struggle to hit the proper rpms). Also check that you have the clutching for your altitude. The fox floats are also dependent on good maintenance, so have your shocks overhauled unless the old owner had receipts for that from last season/year.

Other than that contact your dealer and ask what recalls and fixes are relevant for your sled, and ask previous owner what dealer he used so you can ask them if they did those fixes on this sled. I'd also check that the air intake doesn't have a mice nest in it. And get rid of the fuel in the tank and fill it up with brand new fuel before you run it (just throw the old fuel on your car). And before the season start you do it again, sleds are very finicky about clean fuel. Get some AC oil and check that this one has AC oil on the tank.
Check that there aren't any bends or cracks anywhere. Check for scratches from screwdrivers and wrenches that would indicate that it has had work done that the previous owner didn't mention.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I also don't have specific experience with this particular sled, Instead I have a '13 XF High Country. I think really the only difference is the track length/skid and width. With that being said, these sleds are pretty stout for the most part and you will like riding it if your in deep snow more than trails and low snow, it'll push corners on trails and feel tippy but the more you ride it the more comfortable you'll be with it. I second everything ronnyhugo says with a few extras. Loosen the exhaust temp sensor on the pipe under the headlights and put some Loctite on it, they're famous for vibrating loose then they throw a code and use 30% more fuel.
  1. Invest in a heavy duty skid plate to protect the bottom of your chaincase, they are magnesium and beak easily if you hit it hard enough, also be very careful re-tightening said chaincase, original had course thread screws (11 I think) and can be overtightend and strip threads super easily. If you're are original and it's still good then awesome, only tighten to spec, which I think is around 84 in-lbs but double check the service manual. If you have one stripped out already then it's a bit speedy and time consuming to replace it. I've done mine twice now, bought it with 2 screws stripped, then had to do it again because I hit the top of a stump and broke the second one. The good thing with replacing it is Cat makes a new kit for replacing and it has fine thread screws now.
I couldn't really tell by the pics but it kinda looked like it has the telescopic steering post, they tend to wear out the bushings in there and get a little sloppy. Canada Sled Parts has a bushing kit for them, I've heard good things about them, I ordered one in late spring but haven't put it in yet, I think it cost about $100 if I remember correctly. http://www.canadasledparts.com/product/2012-16-proclimb-steering-bushing-set/
I also found that my inner carriage axle is very worn on the skid, not sure if it's a one off thing or normal for the chassis but you'll find out about yours when you pull your skid to check bearings wheels and all that stuff. Which I highly recommend doing.
Other than that enjoy and have a blast with it, I love how easily I can toss my sled around. It's an absolute blast to ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts