Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 280lbs(fat) and right now my sled is completely stock. I was wondering if I should make any adjustments to the suspension to compensate for my weight. I actually have only bottomed out twice and I have been in some nasty trails. Anyone else a heavier rider who made some adjustments to the suspension to compensate? And going on a diet is not the advice I'm looking for.... Cat happy

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
What setting are your rear spring blocks on? You can adjust them based on rider weight. Just turn the blocks using your spark plug wrench. I'm about 250ish and have it on the middle setting. When I got the sled it was on the lightest setting and it bottomed quite a few times when hitting small line ditches or washouts in our fields. The ride was very plush, but I didn't like the bottoming. On the middle setting it has only bottomed a couple times and it was at higher speeds and about a 4' ditch. lol I've tried it on the highest setting but it rides much stiffer. If I know I'm going to be hitting some big stuff then I run it on the highest, otherwise I like the ride on the middle setting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need more input on suspension

Wanted to revive this post. I just got back from Canada...did about 500 miles on my f800 so I really got to asses it's performance. I have 135 studs. I weight 290. And I'm pushing like crazy in corners at any decent speed. I'm still running the stock carbides. 80lbs in the front shocks. Stock settings on everything else. I find I have to lean farther and harder than anyone else I ride with to keep up. I know I'm heavier but I feel like the sled is making me work way to hard. Everyone I talk to has a different opinion, new skis, new carbides, front shocks to 125psi, front shocks to 70psi, etc etc. is there any recommended basic setup guide for a heavier rider? Seems like other brands offer settings based in rider weight but I can't find anything in any of my arctic cat manuals. I get worried and skeptical when two different dealers give me compete opposite advice on what I'm supposed to do. Does anyone actually know how to make the proper adjustments or at least in what direction?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
With studs you're gonna need more than the stock carbides to get it to turn decent, especially once they get worn down a little bit. Many guys swear by shaper bars, but being a single runner, they will make the front end more twitchy. Longer dual carbides would probably be your best bet with stock skis, or maybe Bergstrom's carbides and shim kit. You could also try pulling up your limiter straps a hole or two to give you more ski pressure.

I put Curve skis and 6" round bar carbides on mine and the difference in cornering is unreal. I still have some darting issues that I'm working on, but the better cornering more than offsets the darting problem. They are also way better than stock skis for off trail. Sled actually turns when you want it to. Steering effort is same as stock skis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts