Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I bought a new HDX about a month ago. I have swapped from a ranger to the prowler so far i like it. Im thinking of installing a lift kit and bigger tires does to ground clearance issues im having at my hunting camp. I do not like the drop down skid plates due to the fact of them hitting small stumps and bottoming out on ruts. I would like to go with the extreme 2.5" lift kit and either 28" or 30" Maxxis Zilla tires. I have ran them on every one of my polaris UTV's and i loved them and also a EPI Clutch kit. I would like to keep the power of the unit but to me it does not seem like the prowler will turn the 30"s very well. I could use your input to help me out on the choices i have?

·
Banned
63 Posts
Hi there, I bought a new HDX about a month ago. I have swapped from a ranger to the prowler so far i like it. Im thinking of installing a lift kit and bigger tires does to ground clearance issues im having at my hunting camp. I do not like the drop down skid plates due to the fact of them hitting small stumps and bottoming out on ruts. I would like to go with the extreme 2.5" lift kit and either 28" or 30" Maxxis Zilla tires. I have ran them on every one of my polaris UTV's and i loved them and also a EPI Clutch kit. I would like to keep the power of the unit but to me it does not seem like the prowler will turn the 30"s very well. I could use your input to help me out on the choices i have?
You need to go with a EPI mudder clutch.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Thanks for the reply i already have that clutch kit ordered. i hope it helps
Did you tell them what you were going to use your prowler for.I went 16 grams lighter than my factory weights,and also installed heavy duty internal wet clutch springs,which gave me a 1900 RPM stall.works great,did loss a little top end,I also got there real heavy duty belt,I think my kit was around 300 dollars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes i did. They told me the kit i ordered would be perfect for my set up, even if i loss a lil top end thats fine cause it would still be around 51mph. my biggest fear was that the motor was not strong enuff casue i was tryin to climb a small rut with me an my friend i had it in 2wd an high and i have never had a side by side that just stalled out and would not turn the wheels so im really hoping this will help. the design of the drop down skid plate is very bad, i also lost 3 of the center caps the first week of riding the unit around in my yard arctic sent me new ones but the design is very bad so thats why im going with after market wheels and tires. i think with 30" tires and a 2.5" lift kits ill get around 3 to 3.5" of ground clearance more casue the unit already had 26" tires and 14" black magic wheels.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Yes i did. They told me the kit i ordered would be perfect for my set up, even if i loss a lil top end thats fine cause it would still be around 51mph. my biggest fear was that the motor was not strong enuff casue i was tryin to climb a small rut with me an my friend i had it in 2wd an high and i have never had a side by side that just stalled out and would not turn the wheels so im really hoping this will help. the design of the drop down skid plate is very bad, i also lost 3 of the center caps the first week of riding the unit around in my yard arctic sent me new ones but the design is very bad so thats why im going with after market wheels and tires. i think with 30" tires and a 2.5" lift kits ill get around 3 to 3.5" of ground clearance more casue the unit already had 26" tires and 14" black magic wheels.
It must have had after market wheels on it when you bought it,my center caps are fixed to my wheels.did you get your clutch kit installed.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If it were me I would skip the clutch kit and have my clutch machined by Airdam or Papa Slap. You gain bottom end power due to lower gearing and still maintain your stock top end performance. No sacrifice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi there, The rims that came stock on my hdx were factory 14" the center caps had a locking spring on the center caps. the new 14" ss wheels i bought have center caps that go in from the back side of the rim an want fall off. The clutch kit has been installed but i have not been home to ride it yet due to me workin in brazil but only 2 more weeks an ill be havin some fun on it, i still cant decide on the size of tires i want to install on it im stuck between 30" and 28" i dont know what would best suit the hdx. I also ordered the front brush guard and back bumber and had it installed. I did also find a guy that had a rhino an he sold me his double gun boot system with 2 camo gun boots, it mounts to the back rool cage so im gonna have to test fit it an make it work but i couldnt turn my head on the deal they sell for almost 600 an got it for 150 only a yr old . I did call the dealer back yester day an got the baja light bar frame for the top and the 12" LED light bar, they are gonna install it when i get home.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Hi there, The rims that came stock on my hdx were factory 14" the center caps had a locking spring on the center caps. the new 14" ss wheels i bought have center caps that go in from the back side of the rim an want fall off. The clutch kit has been installed but i have not been home to ride it yet due to me workin in brazil but only 2 more weeks an ill be havin some fun on it, i still cant decide on the size of tires i want to install on it im stuck between 30" and 28" i dont know what would best suit the hdx. I also ordered the front brush guard and back bumber and had it installed. I did also find a guy that had a rhino an he sold me his double gun boot system with 2 camo gun boots, it mounts to the back rool cage so im gonna have to test fit it an make it work but i couldnt turn my head on the deal they sell for almost 600 an got it for 150 only a yr old . I did call the dealer back yester day an got the baja light bar frame for the top and the 12" LED light bar, they are gonna install it when i get home.
Sounds like your on a roll,30'' will take more power to turn,it's gonna be your choice,I think 30'' will rub a little bit in the front back by the fire wall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well update on the new project. All parts are installed an it is awsome, i only dropped 3mph, and clutch kit has brung back my low end torque. I am very happy with the set up. Now on to my next task i liked arctic cat so much i went an bought a new 2013 500 core an had the dealer install a winch, front brush guard, and a set of 27" mud lites with 312 SS rims. I am very impressed with the power an ride quality.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Well update on the new project. All parts are installed an it is awsome, i only dropped 3mph, and clutch kit has brung back my low end torque. I am very happy with the set up. Now on to my next task i liked arctic cat so much i went an bought a new 2013 500 core an had the dealer install a winch, front brush guard, and a set of 27" mud lites with 312 SS rims. I am very impressed with the power an ride quality.
Cool thats great to here,keep us updated.

·
Banned
63 Posts
You'll find some good stuff for your Prowler Here On Achat Dude Read The Rules FOM
So what are you saying you have to buy through the forum.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
So what are you saying you have to buy through the forum.
No not at all, however we do monitor the links that are placed on the site that are to non-site supporting venders.

·
Banned
63 Posts
No not at all, however we do monitor the links that are placed on the site that are to non-site supporting venders.
Okay,Thanks I understand that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well latest update finally got ride the prowler for a fun night an it let me down very badly. Some how the back bed got into my tires and ruint them. And to even make it worse the belt broke also with only 102 hrs on the prowler. It is now in for repairs an still very let down

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
Well latest update finally got ride the prowler for a fun night an it let me down very badly. Some how the back bed got into my tires and ruint them. And to even make it worse the belt broke also with only 102 hrs on the prowler. It is now in for repairs an still very let down
That makes no sense at all ^^^^

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok found out that the back Fox shocks did not have enuff air in them and with stuff in the bed it sat down to low and the bed rails sat down on the tires so i had to buy to new rear tires, and they told me that there was nothing left of my belt at all and that makes now sense to me and there is a correction make the Prowler only had 102 miles not hrs. The warranty is not gonna cover anything. And then some how they wanted to tell me that i had went in water cause there was water in the air box and in the motor and i told them there had to some mistake cause i have never even had the unit left out side nor ridden it in the rain or even been through a water puddle so i had to pay for a new oil change. to say the least i am very upset with it right now and the 750 shop bill. I love the unit but out of all the years i have owned a Polaris i have never had a bit of problem with them, I have really enjoyed my Prowler but if this is how they are im gonna make some one a great deal on both units and go to something else. Has any one else had a belt completely burn up after 100 miles casue i have asked the dealer what do i do if this does it agin and they can not answer me

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i also for got to mention the dealer had to replace the batter due to it not holding a charge. An i have been thinking have has any one had a problem with there belt overheating while staying at high speeds, casue when my belt broke i was running about 54 mph for over 3 miles an i wander di it get to hot? But the biggest thing i cant get over is the dealer saying i had water in my air box and engine casue i have never had it in the rain. I live in South Alabam so i dont have to wory about the snow but that makes no sense to me how it got in there an also how to prevent it from happing agin

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
I have really enjoyed my Prowler but if this is how they are im gonna make some one a great deal on both units and go to something else. Has any one else had a belt completely burn up after 100 miles casue i have asked the dealer what do i do if this does it agin and they can not answer me

Go Back To Stock

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.