Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used 2013 Artic Cat 450 XC. Only has 1,000 miles on it. Knew it was smoking when I bough it. Pulled the head and base off. Oil clearly leaking on exhaust valve side, intake side looked clean. So I replaced the all four valve seals. Cleaned the exhaust side ports and valves of residual oil; and carbon, replaced head and base gasket. Piston looked clean. Put all back together and it is still smoking bad. Have not pulled back apart yet, but just wondering what else it possibly could be.

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
Oil in the muffler and exhaust system

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking and hoping this as well. I did run it for about 15 minute in the garage, and could clearly see oil coming out the back of the pipe on the ground. I also ran it down the block once, but it smoked so bad I had to stop, cause I know it did not make the neighbors happy. I thought though by this time it should start to subside, unless it is still full of oil in the pipe. I also noticed it did get worse as it warmed up. It does not smoke when first started, so that also led me to believe residual in the pipe.
I will also pull the plug and see what it looks like.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
sunk atv, sold atv. to you, ran good at first,
now crap from being sunk is eating up top end parts??
this happens a lot these days
but is ONLY a guess here? and only say due to how often it happens
food for thought call it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here's a little food for thought, I'm a member over on Grizzly Central as well, and being I also have a 2016 Yamaha Grizzly, I've read up a lot on this same kind of topic. **NOT saying this is the case, but something to look at** The 2016 Grizzly 700's had a small batch of motors that had issues with valve guides being an oblong hole instead of completely concentric. this caused the valves to not seal on the stem obviously, and led to smoking heavily, as in , fill the garage to the point you had to leave. This was resolved on said machines by replacing the head with a new one. You can however usually replace just the valve guides. Take a look at them, and if you don't have the ability, take it to your local machine shop, and they should very easily be able to measure the concentricity of your valve guide bores. The Grizzlies would usually show up around the second oil change, so this would be right in the mileage your describing. Just a little food for thought. Hope this helps, but doesn't make you nervous. Apologies if it does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I have ran it for a while idling and blipping the throttle, and still smoking bad, like you said fill the garage up quickly. I pulled the plug and it looks pretty clean. I would expect to see burnt oil on it, but I changed the oil; so pretty clean at the moment. My plan is to get a chance to ride it up and down the steet and let it smoke good, and see if my oil level drops and plug check again. I just don't want to pull the head again until I am sure I need to. PITA, time and more money. However, if I end up having to, then I will get the head reworked and new guides.

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
You need to run it at some higher rpm on a road or trail if you can. That will rule out residual oil.

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
Any luck ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to get it to the trails this weekend and ran it for 30 minutes and it smoked bad. Checked oil level and it was low, so definatley burning oil. So I pulled the head again and I need to get it to a machine shop to diagnose, but so far no one will work on the head. Is the only other possibility the valve guides? Are they hard to replace? Maybe somebody has a good machine shop that can perform work on these heads to give me info on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to get it to the trails this weekend and ran it for 30 minutes and it smoked bad. Checked oil level and it was low, so definatley burning oil. So I pulled the head again and I need to get it to a machine shop to diagnose, but so far no one will work on the head. Is the only other possibility the valve guides? Are they hard to replace? Maybe somebody has a good machine shop that can perform work on these heads to give me info on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the part number for valve guides for a 2013 Artic Cat 450? Where can I get them from? All the OEM Artic Cat parts sites do not list valve guides as a purchasable part on the diagram.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
personally I think you should consider tearing this whole motor down, as if it was sunk, and these days, thats a HIGH odds a deal on folks selling atv's all the more so one's that smoke

and you spend time and money fixing the top end(re boring/honing) and bottom end has crap in it, your money will soon be wasted money and doing all over again!
as you could have done damages by running it AS IS,
just saying, your money and atv

·
Registered
440 Posts
Really should do a compression test. If compression is low put a few drops of oil in the spark plug hole. If pressure goes up it’s your rings. If not then your valves aren’t seating. But that wouldn’t explain the oil consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,896 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts

Sorry Buddy but that's all I got. I didn't have the time nor the desire to look at the drawing in depth to search for a valve guide. The OP didn't list the actual sites they looked on so I just provided the one I usually go to. Perhaps a call to NFlow (site sponsor) would be more helpful. Regardless, do these engines actually have valve guides?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sorry Buddy but that's all I got. I didn't have the time nor the desire to look at the drawing in depth to search for a valve guide. The OP didn't list the actual sites they looked on so I just provided the one I usually go to. Perhaps a call to NFlow (site sponsor) would be more helpful. Regardless, do these engines actually have valve guides?

Well...I think there is something to guide the valves lol. But replaceable...not so sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
8 Participants
C-note
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing