Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to find 2012 M8 SP Track relocation bracket

Just picked up a 2012 M8 SnoPro and was up riding yesterday. Ran into a guy with the same sled who had put on a rear suspension relocation bracket. Moved the rear suspension back about 3/4". Rode his sled and was stunned by how easy it was to sidehill with his setup! Now looking for that bracket online and haven't been able to find it anywhere. I'd appreciate it if anyone can point me to a website I can find this on! Also looking for a good deal on a Camoplast Extreme track for this sled as well.

All help's appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
I'd guess he's got more done than that.

Just basic geometry tells you that this won't help you sidehill, it will make it harder.

Brett did this so that he could get his exhaust into the tunnel on this sled... and in theory it lets you decrease approach angle, but in reality we find that approach angle doesn't often affect how well you get on the snow. In fact, on the M we find the exact opposite is true, if you increase approach angle, the sled gets on the snow notably better.

The sled you rode I'd guess also moved the front of the skid down or changed the lower center shock mount location to a bit more forward, which actually WILL make it sidehill better.

This mod:

will put the front of the skid firther back a bit, which will give you more ski pressure... the LAST thing that this sled needs.

In conjunction with this mod, Brett also ran shorter (ski) shocks in his sled, which does the same thing as dropping the skid essentially, and makes up for the ski pressure gained by this mod.

Doing ONE of a grouping of mods that all work together, but not the rest, is a recipe for a sled that handles poorly. This mod in particular imo is very misunderstood as to WHY it was implemented, and more importantly, what else was done to make it work. The guys who make this mods are even running longer center shocks... one of the things that makes their sleds handle much better.

Here's the Exit shock on the skid... which btw, the part is cheaper getting it through them (zbros) if you get it, MVM's price is highway robbery.
The longer shock counteracts the issues caused by this part, as well as the shorter ski shocks.

Don't follow blindly... ask more questions, as 1/2 the story can be much worse than no story at all ;)

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Moving the shock location helps the top of the stroke, but not the bottom... it will then bottom easier. The longer shock does both. No pics, it was one that zbros posted.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies, information and suggestions. When I looked at the sled, it appeared that he had moved the front mount back an equal amount to the rear relocation bracket. He'd also put on a 156 track. The main point of the track relocation, which I forgot to mention, was to avoid trenching issues. Please bear with me as I'm still relatively new to snowmobiling. Have to ask questions in order to learn however!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Thank you for your replies, information and suggestions. When I looked at the sled, it appeared that he had moved the front mount back an equal amount to the rear relocation bracket. He'd also put on a 156 track. The main point of the track relocation, which I forgot to mention, was to avoid trenching issues. Please bear with me as I'm still relatively new to snowmobiling. Have to ask questions in order to learn however!

Thanks
Of course! We're ALL still learning ;) some of us just don't admit it!

Yeah, you have to move the front back the same 20mm, or it will handle poorly. IMO, you need to also move it down, so in other words to 13 skid location.

Either way, it's reversible, and if you hate it, you only wasted $50.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is this mod the same as the mount position the 14 has from factory?

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
there's a few different things going on here, but basically yes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I looked at the M8000 -14 and my -13 today, not side by side, and it looks like the -14 is a little further back

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pat750r

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just put that set up on my 2012 M8 153". Got it on line from
Mountian Valley Machine. Wasn't that hard to install. Took some time to figure the front hole position and make it the same on each side. As far as getting the skid to work a little better and get you up on the snow try installing a set of limiting straps from a ski doo summit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Got about 600km on my machine with this kit and track relocation done. It is a drastic improvement over the original rear skid possition mounting. If you got a 2012 M8 do this! you won't regret it!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I spoke with my local dealer about the sagging problem on my 2012 1100 turbo. He said there was a guy who did this same mod to his 2012 and it rides like a 14 now and doesn't trench as much. He said he could do the same mod to my sled but never gave me a price quote.

I put 80 miles on Monday and love my new sled! Rode a 14 M8000 and noticed they are lighter but lack the torque. The snap is nice but I like the 1100 more. It suits my riding style better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.