Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 f800 procross sno pro limited (white and orange). I have 430 miles on it and I'm getting my 3rd chaincase. It seems that arctic cat has the chaincase extend below the bellypan and anytime it gets hit, it leaks oil. I'm currently making a billet aluminum cover to replace arctic cat's plastic (useless) cover. Has anyone else had this problem? I love the sled other than this poor design. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine replaced 3 weeks ago. 1700.00 later!!! they did not have skid plates when I purchased the machine. They said they were coming soon. I have one now!

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
I have a 2012 f800 procross sno pro limited (white and orange). I have 430 miles on it and I'm getting my 3rd chaincase. It seems that arctic cat has the chaincase extend below the bellypan and anytime it gets hit, it leaks oil. I'm currently making a billet aluminum cover to replace arctic cat's plastic (useless) cover. Has anyone else had this problem? I love the sled other than this poor design. Thanks
I just got my 2nd one replaced, they covered it under warranty but it's still a pain in the ass to tie up sled to fix. Someone makes a guard for it I hear.

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
I had mine replaced 3 weeks ago. 1700.00 later!!! they did not have skid plates when I purchased the machine. They said they were coming soon. I have one now!
Who has gotten the skid plates and from where?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Who has gotten the skid plates and from where?
I have one, but it's not on there yet. Cat makes a rear skid plate that covers pretty much the entire belly of the sled, including the chaincase and brake rotor. Most of the others don't protect either the case or the brake so they are pointless. RPM Composites makes a 3 piece skid plate that protects everything, but they are very pricey, $599 I think. Also it says it is for the XF chassis, but I would think the bellys would be the same on the XF and F. I dunno

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Lukester, sorry to hear about your luck bud... But I have to lol... Is there any snow where you're riding?? You know Cat makes a pretty good quad also!!!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Started putting the skid plate on tonight, it is a major PITA. Don't get me wrong, it fits really well, but I can't believe they didn't put it on at the factory instead of making it an accessory/add-on. When you go to drill the perimeter mounting holes, you'll find that many of them line up with already installed rivits. It just seems to me that it would make more sense to install the plate when they are putting the sled together and rivit it on instead of having to drill out rivits and bolt the thing on. On a positive note, it does look like it will provide good protection.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, a def. pain in the ass but fit is great! I was a pro at rivets by that time because I did the tunnel update just prior to the pan.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Hey Green... I just did my skid plate this morning,, I agree PITA but nice fit.. Did you put the front nose skid on also?? I did but I had to mod the bottom of it to fit my sport bumper back on...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hey Green... I just did my skid plate this morning,, I agree PITA but nice fit.. Did you put the front nose skid on also?? I did but I had to mod the bottom of it to fit my sport bumper back on...
Yes the plate fits very nice, but it still seems like it shoulda came on the sled. Also since I have an inner belly pan protector to guard the belly against grenading belts, the bolts weren't long enough to go through everything on the clutch side.

I didn't mess with the front skid as I couldn't see where it would really add that much protection and it says it won't work with the sport bumper. What exactly does it protect? The rear skid plate goes just about all the way up to the sport bumper. Do you have any pics of it on the sled and of the mods you had to do to make it work with the sport bumper?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I guess i could take some pics.. I had to trim some of the bottom of the skid plate to make it fit inside the sport bumper.. I won't be able to take a pic of that cus i sure as heck ain't taking it apart again..lol

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Any pics of the installed product?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
i'll take some pics 2moro.. didn't think it was worth it being black on black...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
BL, I would just like to know what the front skid plate covers?? It seems like the rear pretty much covers the entire belly of the sled so not sure what the front one would do. Pics would be nice, but you could just tell me where it bolts up and what it covers. Also isn't the belly of your sled green? I guess I should look at your other pics closer. lol

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
No the bottom of my sled is black.. I should of went with a white skid.. The front skid cups over the bottom of your nose and bolts into the bottom holes of your sport bumper and then joins to your main skid plate on the 2 front screws... Make sense??:huh:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
No the bottom of my sled is black.. I should of went with a white skid.. The front skid cups over the bottom of your nose and bolts into the bottom holes of your sport bumper and then joins to your main skid plate on the 2 front screws... Make sense??:huh:
Yep thanks.

I just looked at your other pics and saw that the RRs belly is black, lol I coulda sworn it was all green.

I was out messing with the sled in the shop today and noticed the front panels of the hood down by the sport bumper are starting to get scuffed up from riding in corn fields. I'm gonna try to rig up something that I can wrap around or clamp onto the bumper to deflect the stalks away from the nose. Since you say the skid bolts in the bottom holes of the sport bumper I don't think it would cover very much of the front "legs" of the hood. I dunno I wish they woulda made the whole lower part of the hood just rough plastic like the side panels and belly and not smooth like they are. The rougher texture doesn't show the scuffs like the smooth does. I'll pull the hood and do some heavy buffing and waxing to get the scuff marks out of it. I might have to stay out of the corn or keep the nose between the rows. I never even thought about this until I saw the scuffing today.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Looks like the new yamacat Viper has the all black front of the hood that I was talking about. Maybe the 2014 Cats will have the same design? I guess we'll see in about a week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts