Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have have about 600 miles on my prowler after buying brand new last year. this winter we took it out in my buddies pasture full of snow, maybe 12' and were riding it around and pulling kids in sleds. After a few hours of NON continuous play, it died. I brought it to the dealer where I bought it and they told me that "water or ice dust" got in the engine through the air intake and is scuffed up the piston rings. What the crap does that mean and is that even possible? I just have the gut feeling he is giving me a bs line of crap. Anyone know of this?

·
Banned
63 Posts
I have have about 600 miles on my prowler after buying brand new last year. this winter we took it out in my buddies pasture full of snow, maybe 12' and were riding it around and pulling kids in sleds. After a few hours of NON continuous play, it died. I brought it to the dealer where I bought it and they told me that "water or ice dust" got in the engine through the air intake and is scuffed up the piston rings. What the crap does that mean and is that even possible? I just have the gut feeling he is giving me a bs line of crap. Anyone know of this?
I would take the lid off your air cleaner and look for yourself,I that's the case when It dries out it should start again.and also If that's the case when the snow or ice dust starting going through the throttle body it would start cutting out.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
Your right to be cautious. But I do think it is possible to have problems in the powder. I know of a Rhino that had problems with sucking in snow when plowing.

Check your oil - does it have water in it? Look milky? that would be bad fyi Check it for metal shavings too.

Check you airbox like De3 suggested? Is it wet? water in it? Is the filter wet? It's an oil soaked foam filter so lots of water shouldn't get by it.

New oil and a clean filter/airbox and hopefully your running again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did check the air filter and it was still clean, and didn't really feel all that wet, maybe a little which is to be expected. The oil, I did not check before bringing it in, never thought of that. I only check plugs and connections, hoses to see if they were plugged or broken, things like that. The thing that gets me is the "ice diust" as he put it, and scraping up the cylindar body. That doesn't sound possible to me.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
If it was my machine I would get it home, look it over real good, see if I could fix it if not I would take it to someone else. Try to find another Cat dealer in your area. It's never a bad thing to get a second opinion.

IF it sucked in enough water to damage the engine, it would have been running like crap and smoking. IMHO.

·
Banned
63 Posts
X2 I dont believe your A/C dealer,even if the cyclinder walls are scored it should still run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought that it would still be running also, just poorly. Thanks for the replies and info guys. I am definately not going back to this same dealer. Which sucks, I liked my salesman, location and amount of stuff they have there, but no excuse for ripping someone off. Just the way the guy talks makes me not trust him, and I am the type of person that will let him know that I don't believe it, I researched it and will NOT be recommending them or using them again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts