Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a 2012 M800 153" this week, my only concern is the mileage on it, it's showing 3800 miles (6100km) roughly on it, I've not seen it in person yet but I'm told it's 145lbs per side compression, it looks to be in good shape, new jack-shaft and bearings, new chain and gears in chaincase, new track, Looks like a set of Polaris gripper ski's and i'm told it just got a 2.5" new track installed. Is there anything else I should look long and hard at before considering this machine? How often do the cranks fail on these? The crank, clutches and stator are my 3 big concerns at this point.

What updates should I be looking for? I've heard of steering slop, is there anything done in particular to fix it that would be noticeable or is it just post bushings? how about skid maintenance?

My last sled was a 2002 mountain cat 800, the thing handled like a brick, I've been riding my friends 151" 800 CFI RMK this season a little bit and getting better at actual riding, how much more nimble will the 2012 chassis feel? My friend has a 2015 M8000 which feels like a cloud to ride compared to anything i've been on.

Given the current state of the world I can't really afford to get burned on this deal, and it seems too good to be true.

The machine is a few hours away so I'm trying to get more pictures before I make the drive. Need to decide soon if I put a deposit on it or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Honestly that’s a terrible year for the M8 especially if you are going to ride any deep snow or technical mountain riding. That year trenches and the track washes out when you get it on its side. And yes I’ve been around one a lot. You’d be better off with a 2010 or 2011 M series 800

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly that’s a terrible year for the M8 especially if you are going to ride any deep snow or technical mountain riding. That year trenches and the track washes out when you get it on its side. And yes I’ve been around one a lot. You’d be better off with a 2010 or 2011 M series 800
even with the updated track to a 2.5 power claw?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It was more than the track. The ergonomics were off (understandable being a total new redesign in 12) the big tall wide spindles dig into a side hill thus causing track to wash out. Clutches were not good either. The only good part of that sled is the 800 Suzuki

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been around the M -series sleds quite a bit. My nephews ride 2010 M8’s and you wouldn’t believe how well they can ride them in tight technical spots and they go through the deep snow well too. I would highly recommend looking for an m-series 800 2008-2011. I wouldn’t touch the pro climb until 2016 which was the first year they really got that chassis dialed in

1 - 6 of 6 Posts