Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there mud pro experts. So I'm looking once again for some advice in where to go..... I got a 2012 700 mud pro that keeps blowing the crank seal behind the primary clutch draining my engine oil into belt compartment.
Have happened 3 time now. I've made sure that seal is installed properly (new seal each time), bearing behind the seal is in excellent shape, checked crank case vent tube to be sure not plugged and pressurizeing crank case, cleaned air filter/air box area. Starts on a dime everytime. Can't go more then 2 miles and it blows the seal out everytime. What am I missing here guys? I'm hoping something simple that I keep missing??? Please help a cat fan out 馃

Registered
Just a suggestion check with speedwerx they might know something also they do the wet clutch delete kit and might be able to give you an idea of what could cause the problem you鈥檙e having or something to look for that you might not notice putting it back together

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll check into it for sure. On the clutch housing assembly there is a hole in the middle towards the clutch itself and then two holes on the shaft that allows oil to lube the bearing. The oil comes out between the bearing and the seal itself that keep blowing out. Now I am pretty sure this is normal but are those holes maybe suppose to be solid and not allow oil to pass through?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I read in a few different posts here today that there is an upgrade kit for this in the Wildcats? If so is there also one to the 12 700 mud pros? Also I've came a cross people mentioning something about a spacer, on this particular unit I do not have a spacer anywhere to be found upon disassembly. Also don't see one on the microfiche. But again maybe I missed the fine print somewhere. I know it's the long weekend here so will wait and hope some one has some input next week. Thanks all.

Administrator
Are you using a seal driver?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
The first time I borrowed one and yes I did. Second time no I didn't, flat head punch and tapped in. It is a tight fit so good. Seal had blown partially inwards each time as it can not blow out wards due to casing design. Is it possible that the fixed spacer drive face is turning and blocking the holes on the clutch housing assembly causing my issue?

Premium Member
So its blowing in towards the engine or out towards the clutch? If its blowing in i would say you have to much pressure on the clutch side or the crank is walking back and forth.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Only about 1/4 of the seal blows out towards the engine. Inspected crank as good as I can when had it apart to replace seal, as seal has to be put in from back side of casing. Very limited with inspection as can't really see much of anything when apart. Any tips on how to check crank for walking with out complete tear down?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Also is there anyway to reduce pressure on the clutch side to possibly rule that out if it doesn't correct my issue?

Premium Member
You should be able to just pull on the crank by hand and see if their is any in out movement.
Try driving with the clutch cover off since its blowing in 2 m you should know pretty quick

Registered
No way there should be enough pressure built up on the clutch side to blow "in" the seal.
Check the 2 clutch snorkel tubes, make sure they are clear of obstructions. Even if the exhaust was plugged up, all it would do is reduce the air flow to zero and overheat the clutch and blow the belt.
Calling Speedwerx might be helpful, but if you don't have speedwerx products in your clutch then they probably wont give you any helpful info.
I'd be carefully running at any speed or for any length with your clutch cover off. The primary has a support bearing in the clutch housing and putting stress on the primary might damage the primary assembly shaft.
This is definitely a perplexing problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I've made sure the snorkle tubes and are cleaned and free of any debris. I had it apart today and placed a clean rag around the centrifugal clutch and used a bar to see if any play in any direction on the crack and seemed solid to me. Noticed one the outer plate of the centrifugal clutch that there was a few small chips on the plate itself, not sure how woulda got there but doesn't seem to effect it in any way....or so I think. Also ordered a new bearing, seal, spacer and o-ring today. Should be in next couple days. So here is a thought I was thinking, please give fed back as to if it makes any sense at all.
My bearing behind the seal isn't sealed on either side, but cat says the side facing the seal should be sealed and the side of the bearing facing the engine open. So I'm thinking maybe my problem isn't over pressurizing the seal causing it to blow out maybe under pressure is the issue. Since there is oil being pumped between the seal and the sealed end of the bearing that the oil pressure in there keeps the seal pressurized so it doesn't get sucked in wards due to not having any pressure keeping it in place. (Again my old bearing was open on both ends, allowing no pressure to be kept between the seal and bearing itself). Is this a stupid assumption to be made or dose it seem logical.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Okay so after trying a few seals then installing a new bearing, new spacer and o-ring....the seal no longer blew out but still had a slow leak of visible oil. Ended up grabbing another clutch cover and reinstalled seal, bearing, spacer and o-ring. After 40 miles of giving it the gears and still no sign what's so ever of any oil in the clutch cover area.
So over all the culprit was a wore out clutch cover.
Hope this helps someone else in the future. Cheers

Administrator
Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
doorfx
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing