Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was making a trail in the woods and when we came to a stop the engine started making a noise. Initially I thought oh crap knocked something off so put it on its side to look under and dry no visible leaks. Checked oil level, it was a little low but not significant so started thinking it was the drive system (couldn't really tell where sound was coming from). Well pulled it back to the garage and added a few onces of oil to be certain started it up and drove it about 50 feet going through 2 wheel, 4 wheel drive and and high low, etc and wasn't hearing a change in pitch. Then started wondering about water pump. Didn't see any leakage but did seem fairly loud. Is there anyway to test if it's from the pump other than taking it off? Would the water pump make a loud noise (I assume bearing) but not be leaking? Any tips for where to look will be appreciated. Haven't worked on this machine before (prior was 98 cat 400) so need to get up to speed. Thanks for any advise.

Scott

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
You need to narrow it down where it’s coming from.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was trying to figure that out. I have a cheap HF stethoscope and it seemed to be coming from the water pump but of course sound radiates everywhere. I was under the impression the water pump leaked when it failed but it isn't. was hoping to find out how to rule that as cause or out without taking it apart. Noise doesn't increase much (if any) when I give it throttle. was nervous about running it long enough to see if thermostat opened and coolant moving. Radiator coolant was/is full.

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
They have an oil seal and a coolant seal. Usually when the bearing goes it takes out a seal , causing a leak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll listen again tonight and see if I can find any leak. Certain none in the oil. If it seems like that's where it's coming from I guess I'll have to take it apart

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
It could be your one way bearing in the wet clutch as well.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yes it could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So last night I took the cover off the case and ran it with it off. The noise is definitely coming from there. I need to pick up some sockets tonight but I'm assuming if I can turn the primary both directions with my hands that's the one-way bearing? I don't have a local arctic cat dealer anymore, where do you recommend buying it? I read some say you don't need it but being my wife's wheeler I'd like her to have that braking for going down steep hills

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
First thing you need is a service manual at countrycat.com free download.
Watch this

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I seen this yesterday (one of your posts I found searching this forum). Is there one that shows how to remove the one way bearing? I can't tell from parts diagram and from other videos (other brand atv) they used an arbor press. But on the forum others said it just fell out. Might be clear once I remove the primary shaft(?)

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
This might help

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well finally got back to my arc and it was the one way bearing. Doorfix thanks much for your assistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
35,415 Posts
You’re very welcome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
4 Participants
doorfx
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing