·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Tap with a rubber mallet

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Didn’t get the clutch cover off yet. Been using a rubber mallet. I should be able to get it off again. Does it sound like the clutch cover bearing is the problem? If so I’d like to order one sooner than later. I read that you can get a replacement bearing from a bearing supplier, just don’t know the number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
It takes patience. The dowels are a tight fit.. a couple of the cover screws hid pretty well. Make sure you have them all removed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Got it off. Used some metal rods routed to the other side of the engine to tap the tabs on the cover.

Bearing spins smoothly. I’ll get a replacement tomorrow. Clutches and belt still look good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I removed the snap ring before I took those pictures just to be clear. What is the best way to remove the bearing? I know for install I read that someone put the bearing in a freezer and then warmed the cover up slightly and it dropped in.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Just heat the cover and it will pop out pretty easily.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Tried heating up the cover but bearing wouldn’t come out. Put some water on and inside the bearing in order to try to keep it cooler than the cover. Still couldn’t get it. Going to try some more tomorrow.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
The cover is aluminum the bearing is steel.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Installed.

I got the old bearing out using the bread and a shaft method. Worked great. Had the new bearing in the freezer and heated up the cover. New bearing went in relatively easy. Going to install cover now will update later tonight.

Here’s a link to that bearing removal using bread method video:

Some people also use grease and paper towel together:

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
I’ve never had todo more than heat up the cover with a propane torch. They literally fell out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I’ve never had todo more than heat up the cover with a propane torch. They literally fell out.

I tried heating it up several times and couldn’t get it to work. What I did seems to be a good alternative if heating it up doesn’t work.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Got the cover back on. I sanded the dowels and their holes to remove any rust and dirt. I tried reverse and low gear and its still doing the same thing as before. I made sure the shaft that goes into the clutch cover bearing was good before installing too.

What to check next? Remember that the problem went away with the clutch cover off. The clutch cover fits as it should, no gaps. The clutch faces are also clean.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I need this ready for next weekend so if any ones got any ideas let me know.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I brought it to my dealer and apparently the problem is a worn internal clutch and clutch drum. About $235 for the internal clutch and $350 for the drum. I can’t afford to get the dealer to repair it because they quoted around $1000 (including oil change, labour, shop supplies, new gaskets and a new clutch cover for some reason). I know a few places that might do the job for me. I was just wondering where to look for new drum and internal clutch?

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
7 Participants
Flemingo
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing