·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Yes that is bad!! A proper clamp is needed

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got the muffler welded up. Tested it with air and no leaks. My dealer must have replaced the zip tie I used on the intake hose because it is one of the heavier duty wide ones. I don’t think it is my problem but I am replacing it with a hose clamp. I’ll then put the muffler on and see if it’s backfiring. I don’t have any starting fluid the test the intake system, is there anything else I can use? I looked over it really well especially the boot from the air box to the engine and I don’t see any obvious cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’ll pick up some starting fluid tomorrow and test the intake system. Is there anything else I can check? I can go riding on Wednesday or Thursday to test it out. Maybe the hose clamp fixed it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sprayed all the connections and tubing on the intake system with starting fluid. Also from the throttle body to the cylinder and the engine sound didn’t change. I gave it about half throttle and let off suddenly and I am still hearing a small pop. Anything else I can check? I put a fresh spark plug in after the rebuild. Made sure all clamps are tight. Could it be a sensor or something?

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Have you checked the TPS ?
Reset the IAC?

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
do I have to buy a diagnostic plug jumper pin?

I charged a kimpex battery I had off of one of my snowmobiles, I set my battery charger to the 2A setting and charged it for about 2 hours, the voltage was reading 12.4, I figured that would be good enough, I cleaned the contacts and applied a light coat of dielectric grease. I hooked that battery up to the atv and it wouldn’t start, just made that buzzing sound when the battery is dead. I cleaned off the grease and tried it again and same thing. I put my old battery back in (it read 11.xx Volts) and I jump started it and the atv started up. I’m going to try to charge the kimpex battery to 12.7V, and try that out. I don’t think it’s holding a charge either.

When I was trying to start the atv with the kimpex battery it displayed “volt” on my dash, and I got my gauges back. When I put the original battery back on I got my gauges back as well.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
No.
Have you downloaded the free service manual?
Stop messing with it until you get a known good battery. It’s a waste of time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No.
Have you downloaded the free service manual?

Yes I got one for the rebuild. I read that thread about resetting the tps and IAC and it said to plug the jump pin into the diagnostic port.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I reset the idle control and set the tps. I still hear a pop after I let off a full throttle burp. I can test ride it on the weekend, but I think if it’s popping it’s still going to backfire. What else do I check? I charged the kimpex battery to 12.7V it seems to be holding a charge.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Get the battery load tested.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I reset the idle control and set the tps. I still hear a pop after I let off a full throttle burp. I can test ride it on the weekend, but I think if it’s popping it’s still going to backfire. What else do I check? I charged the kimpex battery to 12.7V it seems to be holding a charge.

Did you leave the spark arrestor out when you welded the access cover back on?

Remember this????
Keep your muffler stock!
550 EFI's run like crap if you do any muffler mods.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Got my two batteries load tested and they are both junk. Got a new one. Parts guy said to charge for 24hours.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Well you will be able to rule that out if it doesn’t fix it.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
7 Participants
Flemingo
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing