Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Need some guidance, have this machine just bought and it seems like it wont open up, changed the fuel filter and belt but still when given a 1/2 throttle it will run but then try to open up it backfires and boggs will not open up. An help would be greatly appreciated it is an EFI model maybe a sensor or something....please help.

I don't even know where to begin??????

Again thanks for any input to my problem.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Check your TPS & IRC. Telly you how in the service manual for your machine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
how do you know if installed wrong? They can go in either way cant they or how can you tell?
They all need to be in the same direction. And there should be a symbol on the fuse panel depocting the correct orientation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello All,,

So I have checked the tps tests fine (through manual checks) changed map sensor because had a test one, changed belt checked diodes all orientated the right way according to fuse box.....still wont run at full throttle ???????

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Also again thanks for your feed back!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,517 Posts
Could very well be a sensor but it's smart and cheaper to check the basics first Inbox, intake boot and exhaust should be checked. A leak, crack, loose clamp or mouse nest could be the source of your problem.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Have to checked the airbox and related plumbing for the air intake? Its a maze in the baffle box infront of the airbox and could quite easily be plugged with a nest or something.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Fuel delivery?
Air filter?
Spark plug?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
So how fast arebyou going when it boggs and backfires? Are you in high gear?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so update.....

Checked air all clean , did a fuel pressure test and at first it was 43psi on guage when you turn key on and not start, after starting ran it dropped considerable to 30psi is this normal? could be a fuel pump issue? I do believe that pressure is around 40-45 psi?

Thanks,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello AlexG.

yes in high gear about half throttle at low speeds good but try to open it up and boggs and almost starves itself until i cut back on throttle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Either the filter on the fuel pump in the tank, or the pressure regulator on the pump faulty. You have to remove the back cover, then you have good space to get the pump out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update.....

Changed fuel pump filter regulator now runs good only thing is when i let off throttle it seems to back fire after running open for awhile.....5-10 seconds... what could cause this now?

Also would like to thank every one for there guidance and suggestions its great to be apart of this site...!

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Thanks for the update!!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Update.....
Changed fuel pump filter regulator now runs good only thing is when i let off throttle it seems to back fire after running open for awhile.....5-10 seconds... what could cause this now?
Also would like to thank every one for there guidance and suggestions its great to be apart of this site...!
Could be ANY of the things that we've already suggested. Plus....
Have you changed the spark plug?
Cleaned the spark arrestor?
Checked the exhaust for leaks?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try to reset the ISC.

Somebody needs to link the manual so you will know which contacts you need to bridge over.

"EFI trouble shooting via the diagnostic plug. Short pigtail from fuse box area with rubber cap on it. You jumper two of the wires together with either the factory diagnostic plug or A paper clip is what I use. If like my 08 tcat, there are 3 wires going to a 6 hole connector. X= a wire 0 no wire in connector. Other machines such as the 700H1 may have more wires in the plug but I think its the same two wires. Check the service manual to make sure. I'm guessing here since I've never seen the diagnostic plug on anything other then a 08 Tcat.

X0
XX <- Jumper these two together to read EFI codes, set throttle position sensor or to set Throttle range. You jumper the same two wires to read and clear EFI Stored or Active Codes ACXX or SCXX where xx is some number representing some EFI or sensor fault. Code tables are in the service manual and is often posted in other threads on this site. The pinned section has a service manual that you can download if you do not have one. I recommend you get a service manual for your ATV model and year just in case the code table is different or procedures have changed.

There is also a little horizontal bar that is displayed. Left of the ACXX. This bar jumps up or down to one of 3 positions as the throttle is moved. It should light up in the center position when the throttle position sensor correctly is set while applying no throttle. To Set the Throttle position sensor, First make sure the battery is fully charged loosen the screws holding the sensor to the throttle body and rotate the sensor left or right until the bar shows in the center position while applying no throttle. (Very tiny amount of movement needed) Then tighten the screws making sure the bar stays centered. Always re-set throttle range after doing this so the ECU knows how much signal fron the position sensor represents full throttle.

This is done by, jumping the diagnostic plug wires under the seat to put the ECU in diagnostic mode. Then with the key off press the throttle wide open and hold it, turn the key on wait at least 10 to 15 seconds, turn the key off. Then release the throttle. This sets idle speed and Calibrates the ECU to the trottle range sensor so it knows what the throttle position is and what the range is. Necessary for the ECU to be able to deliver the correct amount of fuel at various amounts of throttle opening. It also sets the idle speed control motor so the engine idles at the correct speed.

If there are any Active Codes there should be EFI on the pod display. I'm pretty sure (least what I've convinced myself) SC codes don't trigger the EFI on the display but must be cleared to get the ECU to back to full normal operation. So if you've ever seen a EFI on the pod then later disappears it's probably set a SC code that needs to be cleared. To read codes install the jumper and turn on the ignition switch but not started. All clear should show EC00 or AC00 on the pod. Anything else is ECU fault or a sensor failure somewhere. SC codes are historical AC codes that are no longer active. To clear all codes install diagnostic jumper and press and hold the reverse override switch as you turn the key on, wait 10-15 seconds and then turn key off. Remove jumper and run the engine until fully warmed up. Then check the codes again if everything is good it should show an EC00 (maybe AC00 on some) Anything else you still have problems that need to be tracked down. I've made it a routine to periodically check for EFI codes, check the throttle position sensor and reset the throttle range as preventive maintenance

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Try to reset the ISC.

Somebody needs to link the manual so you will know which contacts you need to bridge over.

"EFI trouble shooting via the diagnostic plug. Short pigtail from fuse box area with rubber cap on it. You jumper two of the wires together with either the factory diagnostic plug or A paper clip is what I use. If like my 08 tcat, there are 3 wires going to a 6 hole connector. X= a wire 0 no wire in connector. Other machines such as the 700H1 may have more wires in the plug but I think its the same two wires. Check the service manual to make sure. I'm guessing here since I've never seen the diagnostic plug on anything other then a 08 Tcat.

X0
XX <- Jumper these two together to read EFI codes, set throttle position sensor or to set Throttle range. You jumper the same two wires to read and clear EFI Stored or Active Codes ACXX or SCXX where xx is some number representing some EFI or sensor fault. Code tables are in the service manual and is often posted in other threads on this site. The pinned section has a service manual that you can download if you do not have one. I recommend you get a service manual for your ATV model and year just in case the code table is different or procedures have changed.

There is also a little horizontal bar that is displayed. Left of the ACXX. This bar jumps up or down to one of 3 positions as the throttle is moved. It should light up in the center position when the throttle position sensor correctly is set while applying no throttle. To Set the Throttle position sensor, First make sure the battery is fully charged loosen the screws holding the sensor to the throttle body and rotate the sensor left or right until the bar shows in the center position while applying no throttle. (Very tiny amount of movement needed) Then tighten the screws making sure the bar stays centered. Always re-set throttle range after doing this so the ECU knows how much signal fron the position sensor represents full throttle.

This is done by, jumping the diagnostic plug wires under the seat to put the ECU in diagnostic mode. Then with the key off press the throttle wide open and hold it, turn the key on wait at least 10 to 15 seconds, turn the key off. Then release the throttle. This sets idle speed and Calibrates the ECU to the trottle range sensor so it knows what the throttle position is and what the range is. Necessary for the ECU to be able to deliver the correct amount of fuel at various amounts of throttle opening. It also sets the idle speed control motor so the engine idles at the correct speed.

If there are any Active Codes there should be EFI on the pod display. I'm pretty sure (least what I've convinced myself) SC codes don't trigger the EFI on the display but must be cleared to get the ECU to back to full normal operation. So if you've ever seen a EFI on the pod then later disappears it's probably set a SC code that needs to be cleared. To read codes install the jumper and turn on the ignition switch but not started. All clear should show EC00 or AC00 on the pod. Anything else is ECU fault or a sensor failure somewhere. SC codes are historical AC codes that are no longer active. To clear all codes install diagnostic jumper and press and hold the reverse override switch as you turn the key on, wait 10-15 seconds and then turn key off. Remove jumper and run the engine until fully warmed up. Then check the codes again if everything is good it should show an EC00 (maybe AC00 on some) Anything else you still have problems that need to be tracked down. I've made it a routine to periodically check for EFI codes, check the throttle position sensor and reset the throttle range as preventive maintenance

Nice write up !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts