Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2011 700 xtx prowler last spring. It will not steer in a straight line and jumps from side to side uncontrollably on a gravel road. It is a little better if you stay on pavement. It has been unsafe to drive at anything above 30 mph. You have to really pay attention to drive it and keep it on the intended path. I have had it back to the dealer 3 times, and it is no better. He has adjusted the front end each time. It also shows a code quite often that I was told is a steering code. The code keeps showing up after having to uses alot of steering input just to hold the road. I use this unit for gps work, so most of my use is under 10 mph doing that. I have to trailer the prowler from site to site as it is unsafe to drive it between sites. Has anyone else had this issue. I wish I knew about this prior to buying it. The dealer says it is inherent to the design and will not get any better.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
I bought a 2011 700 xtx prowler last spring. It will not steer in a straight line and jumps from side to side uncontrollably on a gravel road. It is a little better if you stay on pavement. It has been unsafe to drive at anything above 30 mph. You have to really pay attention to drive it and keep it on the intended path. I have had it back to the dealer 3 times, and it is no better. He has adjusted the front end each time. It also shows a code quite often that I was told is a steering code. The code keeps showing up after having to uses alot of steering input just to hold the road. I use this unit for gps work, so most of my use is under 10 mph doing that. I have to trailer the prowler from site to site as it is unsafe to drive it between sites. Has anyone else had this issue. I wish I knew about this prior to buying it. The dealer says it is inherent to the design and will not get any better.
What? That's terrible customer service, scary bad. I know one problem you have and how to fix it. Get someone else to look at it, they don't have a clue. Did they call AC?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I see your from Warren MN. What dealer do you go to? If it were me I would take it to RV Sports in Thief River. Maybe you've got a bad power steering unit. The arctic cat power steering is speed sensitive and should give you less "power" steering as the speed increases. I would guess something in either the power steering unit or the ecu. Something has to tell the power steering unit how fast the machine is going so the input can be reduced.
Another thing to look at is the tires. What air pressure are you running them at? I know if you run too high of pressure the tires will float around a lot and be very unstable. I switched to Maxxis Bighorns and they handle better than stock. I run 11 psi front and rear.

Reactions: russ24567

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
Do You Know What Code It Was & Yes Tire Will Make It Send Codes To The Wifes 700 Was Giving Out Codes & It Was The Front Tire Was Out Of Bal. (Bad Tire RePlace & NP )

Reactions: russ24567

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The code was p0635. It comes up quite often. The tires are stock just the way I purchased it new. I have tried different air pressure in the tires. Currently I am running 11 lbs. of air pressure, but have tried as low as 7 lbs. in one pound increments. Not much change in the handling. I will have to check on balancing the tires. I will also try going to the another dealer to get someone else to take a look at it. I hope Arctic Cat will stand behind it yet, as the problems have not been able to be fixed during the warranty period. If not, lesson learned at a very high tuition cost. I won't need to repeat that lesson over again.

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
That Code use To Come Up Alot On All Ours With PS
Best Thing For That Is When Starting Not To Move Wheel & Wait For Needle To Stop Moving Then Start

·
Banned
63 Posts
Seems like there is a lot of problems with the power steering units on these cats thats the same code that comes up on all of them.I think the code means loss of voltage.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I get that code when plowing and using the winch a lot. I usually shut it off and restart and it works fine. Never had it while trail riding though. I would have to say if you get yourself a good dealer like RV then they will be able to get AC to stand behind your machine. The first thing is finding the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for all the input. My dealer did tell me about not touching the steering when first starting the prowler, as it could cause a code. We always start the machine up let it warm up prior to use. I have been getting the code if I try to drive faster than 30 and start dancing all over the road. It's not just me as a driver. My two boys,(17 and 20) never drive it because of how it handles. My brother won't drive it again either. I plan to call RV in TRF and have them take a look. I will keep everyone posted as to what I learn. Thanks again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I too have a 2011 XTX 700. Never had any handling problems at all. Very stable 0-50 mph. The P code has never came on except when leaving key on without engine running. Computer turns off voltage to PS unit to keep it from draining battery. I have heard of bad unit causing these problems. Cat should cover you for a new one if your dealer will do his job.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Keep us posted,I think it's probably your power steering unit.I believe these power steering units take around 180 peak watts to run.I have seen some power steering models running a winch and with there head lights on have there lights dim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am happy to report that Arctic Cat and RV sports in Thief River Falls stood behind my Prowler and appear to have the steering problem corrected. There was more than one code showing up when they diagnosed the problem. I do not know what all the codes were, but they took care of them. They also had to reprogram the electronic unit that works with the power steering. I ran 50 mph today for the first time without feeling like I was about to lose control. I now have much better feed back and feel of the road driving at any speed. I am hoping that everything keeps working well like it is now.

·
Banned
63 Posts
I am happy to report that Arctic Cat and RV sports in Thief River Falls stood behind my Prowler and appear to have the steering problem corrected. There was more than one code showing up when they diagnosed the problem. I do not know what all the codes were, but they took care of them. They also had to reprogram the electronic unit that works with the power steering. I ran 50 mph today for the first time without feeling like I was about to lose control. I now have much better feed back and feel of the road driving at any speed. I am hoping that everything keeps working well like it is now.
Great news,I thought about buying it,but it seems like a lot of people have trouble with it,I bought a Trail Armor steering stabilizer,made a big difference in the steering, don't jerk around in the ruts anymore.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Glad to hear it man. Mike and the guys at RV know their stuff and do a great job. I'm glad you now have the Prowler the way I should be.

·
Banned
63 Posts
What do you think of your power steering,like or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since the work was done this spring... like.
(Haven't had a code come up once since the reprogramming was done)
I think it could be even better yet with a tire upgrade. I am still working on budgeting for that.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Since the work was done this spring... like.
(Haven't had a code come up once since the reprogramming was done)
I think it could be even better yet with a tire upgrade. I am still working on budgeting for that.
Tires will make a big difference,I know a member that has a xtz 1000 with power steering,and they told him not to touch the steering wheel until the prowler fires up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts