Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Arctic Cat 550 LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Question regarding my injector in my 2011 550 with 801 miles on it. Should the injector and fuel rail already be this clogged up? I unfortunately use regular gas with the stupid ethanol in it. However, I do add SeaFoam as an additive. Atv stopped working out on the trails and had EFI flashing. I paper clipped the codes AC32 (fuel injector #1) and AC99 (Start/run not possible) which is initiated by the AC32 code. Pulled the throttle body off and I’m just curious, is this clogging normal at this low mileage?

·
Registered
2011 Arctic Cat 550 LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here’s a new injector for comparison.

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
That is pretty bad for such a short time. Does your fuel station have old steel tanks in the ground?

·
Registered
2011 Arctic Cat 550 LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly I haven’t a clue. I have used multiple different stations in my area. Should I clean the tank and lines too with it being that bad?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes. Ethonal diluted gas is BAD - BAD - BAD. Especially on low KMs (miles) engines - that tend to sit for many months. I read many times that when ethanol diluted gas sits for 60+ days, its can separate into its different layers. One of those layers is water. Water "sitting" inside carbs and/or inside injectors does gum things up. Ouch!

For my 2011 AC 550, I only use non-ethanal diluted gas. re: Use expensive high premium blends. This pure gas is becoming harder and hard to find. In addition to this choice, I also use Gas treatments for Boat engines. Yes. Boat engines. And, I use double its recommended mixture of it. Product I use is:

Amazon.com: STA-BIL 360 Marine Ethanol Treatment and Fuel Stabilizer - Prevents Corrosion - Helps Clean Fuel System For Improved In-Season Performance - Treats Up To 80 Gallons, 8 fl. oz. (22239): Automotive

Also... I don't like using Seafoam product. I have a few friends who used "too much" (thinking more is better) and it gummed up their entire fuel system - which created expensive dealer shop fuel system flushes. Now, they don't use Sea-foam product at all. And, they now use what I use... Since using Marine gas treatment, my AC 550 has been running great - winter and summer months...

If wondering, I use this Marin Gas treatment stuff Amazon.com: STA-BIL 360 Marine Ethanol Treatment and Fuel Stabilizer - Prevents Corrosion - Helps Clean Fuel System For Improved In-Season Performance - Treats Up To 80 Gallons, 8 fl. oz. (22239): Automotive ) in my ATV, my 2-stroke boat, my weed eaters, my lawn mowers and my snowmobile. Use within any engine that sit 2+ months and never had problems with them afterwards....

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
This is the best stuff on the planet. Designed for harsh marine applications.

Reactions: 570Richizzle07

·
Registered
2013 CORE 500 4X4
62 Posts
I'm sure there are plenty of non-oxy blends out there that pretty much give you the same result, which is easier starting and less fuel system maintenance by simply ditching the ethanol. Try it. Stop using ethanol for a bit. I haven't pulled a carburetor in over 10 years, ever since I switched to non-oxy. My own personal mix is Stabil and Lucas Fuel Treatment. I use it in everything; the four-wheeler, my 250R, my chainsaw, all the mowers, my ice auger, snowmobiles, the log splitter, the chipper. I never drain fuel bowls or run anything dry. I just replace fuel filters once a year, if they have one, and treat my gas as soon as it comes out of the pump. I've even "fixed" some chainsaws just by dumping the tank and switching to non-oxy.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Arctic Cat 550 LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found a station that has Non-ethanol fuel so I’ll be traveling 20 minutes each way for fuel rather then 4 minutes. Still haven’t had time to put the injector back in and test it out so the Cat is still partially torn apart. I’ll have updates shortly!

·
Registered
2011 Arctic Cat 550 LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got the injector in, everything is cleaned and hooked back up. Ran beautiful for about 3 minutes then started to sputter, stalling in reverse, and EFI was flashing. Pulled out the trusty paperclip and once again got code AC32 and AC99. At this point I remembered reading how someone had a similar issue after cleaning/replacing everything I did and it was caused by the injector sensor wire being pinched. Well that’s exactly what I came across. Very tight bend in a vulnerable spot right below the air box. Wire practically fell out it was so loose. Reconnected the wire and has been great the past 2 hours. Runs a lot smoother, more power, and has a smooth/ non jumpy idle. Definitely going to stick with the non-ethanol fuel from here on out.

·
Registered
2011 Arctic Cat 550 LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update. I’m noticing a major speed increase! Loving it!! I’ve had the quad top out at 54mph on a paved downhill previous to the injector issue. Now I’m exceeding 60mph on a flat paved surface. Haven’t held it to see exactly what I’m topping out at yet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought my 2011 AC 550 TRV used 4 years ago and injector cleaner stopped it from randomly cutting out / having bad cold engine starts. Based on your great results (with new injector), I'm thinking I should ALSO change my AC's Injector part as well. re: I don't have any historical records of previous owners gas flavour usage, winterize tasks, general maintenance tasks, etc. etc.

Where did you buy your AC's Injector? What was its part number? etc.

Do you think this part from Amazon.ca will work for me?

thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Arctic Cat 550 LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered mine through County Cat. Part number 0470-762. Big price difference between them!!! Wow!!
INJECTOR,FUEL

·
Registered
12,563 Posts
I bought my 2011 AC 550 TRV used 4 years ago and injector cleaner stopped it from randomly cutting out / having bad cold engine starts. Based on your great results (with new injector), I'm thinking I should ALSO change my AC's Injector part as well. re: I don't have any historical records of previous owners gas flavour usage, winterize tasks, general maintenance tasks, etc. etc.

Where did you buy your AC's Injector? What was its part number? etc.

Do you think this part from Amazon.ca will work for me?

thanks.
Although I have no experience with this part, I would be a bit leery about the quality of this part. I’m just saying many guys have had issues with buying aftermarket carbs for their atv’s and this is a crucial part for yours.

Reactions: 570Richizzle07

·
Registered
2011 Arctic Cat 550 LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agree. I would also avoid this part. I’m fine with the price I paid actually. The overall enhanced performance is well worth it. You’re better off doing it right and just once lol.

Reactions: red_russian1

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for your feedback. re: If buying a fuel injector, only buy / replace with OEM part.

A few years ago, I bought a "used" Throttle Body (that included injector and all undistured sensors) for my 2011 550 ATV. If Injector Cleaner didn't work (as my plan A), I would do plan B - which is to swap out complete Throttle Body units. With this in mind, think I will remove the injector "part" from my used throttle body and check it out. re: Does it look clean? If I bench test, does it spray clean (as shown on U-Tube clips) as well, etc. etc.

If wondering, I'm not looking to fix a dead engine problem. But, I did notice a few times that when I push my AC's engine hard, it does smell hot. Too hot. And, it sometimes has weird back fire - like running too lean of gas mixture. Perhaps its original jet is still slightly plugged? Sounds like I need to perform some bench tests with old (original) and "used" replacement Injector parts - before buying brand new replacement part.

re:

Thanks for being my inner voice sounding board.... smiles...

·
Registered
2011 Arctic Cat 550 LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well my wire wiggled it’s way back out of the injector plug. (Guess I’m not a good electrical tape technician) 😂 Quad would shut down when trying to pull a downed tree in reverse. It would flash EFI, but fire right back up and have SC32 for the injector. Looking for some guidance on a good, permanent fix. It’s the wire that is extremely pinched underneath the air box.

·
Registered
2011 Arctic Cat 550 LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2011 Arctic Cat 550 LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here’s a much better view.

·
Registered
2013 CORE 500 4X4
62 Posts
See attached:

For some reason my 1st comment didn't attach. Basically, you could bring it to your local dealer to have them repair the wire or you could go pick up the tools and correct pin/socket on Amazon and repair it yourself more than likely cheaper than your dealer. Plus, you'd have everything to repair the next wiring issue!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts