Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this thing 3 years and probably used it a dozen times that it didn't break down. If I live to be 200 I'll never have another arctic cat. If someone offered me one for free I'd say no thanks. 4 starters this year. Had to by pass 4wd actuator because it would go out every 4 or 5 months. Speed sensor cuts in and out. All the dealerships around here have quit selling them. Said that arctic cat corporate were a pain to deal with and not worth the trouble. I'd sell it but wouldn't feel right doing that to someone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Do you know the full history of quad before you bought it? It could have been a swamp buggy causing never ending electrical issues. Why were starters replaced? Was it hard starting and you burnt them out? Actuators have issues with water penetration.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know the full history of quad before you bought it? It could have been a swamp buggy causing never ending electrical issues. Why were starters replaced? Was it hard starting and you burnt them out? Actuators have issues with water penetration.
I had the actuator replaces by dealer. 4 months later it left me 2 wheeling in the woods. Went back to the dealer and they no longer dealt arctic cat. Said it wasn't worth the headaches. The starters will work for about 3 or 4 months and go out. Burnt up. The 4 wheeler starts good when the starter turns over. I don't know the history of the machine but it looked good started and didn't smoke. Everything seemed okay when I bought it. I hunt hogs every weekend for several years now and the guys I hunt with nearly all ride Honda's. I see why now. I have 10 times the problems that they. I'm going to replace the voltage reg. I don't know if thatsvthe problem or not but have to try something.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Why do you think you need to change regulator? What are your voltage readings at idle and at higher RPM? Take reading with lights on and lights off to compare.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Well, even a Cadillac will turn out to be a lemon everyonceinawhile.
Get rid of it.... get your Honda and move on...

ps... the regulator doesn't interface with the starter....

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Im just trying to figure out why it keeps burning up starters. I'm not a mechanic by any means but with this one you have to be or you'll go broke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way when it actually makes a day with no problems it's a powerful and capable machine.

·
Administrator
40,366 Posts
You can’t just keep throwing parts at it ! You need to find the underlying problem.
If the ball joints are worn out on your car causing excessive tire wear, do you just keep buying new tires hoping the problem will go away ?

Reactions: AlexG.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your eight. If there was a dealership in the area. it would be there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found a dealership a couple hrs away that comes highly recommend. Says that there is some kind of compression release valve on the piston that has probably failed. Does this sound right to y'all.

·
Administrator
40,366 Posts
Compression release on the cam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts