Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Actually have been reading for a long time but just registered today. I just accidently posted this in the newbie intro forum. Duh.

Hoping someone can help me out. The fan on my machine is not cutting in. I check the fuse (visually/continuity) and all ok. I check fuse box and there is power for the fuse. I hooked up 12V to the fan and fan came on. I unplugged/plugged in the power junction that leads to the fan. With machine on, I checked the power to this junction and basically a very low DC reading.

I have the service manual but can not find any other info to troubleshoot. Have read mention of a diode but can't locate.

Any suggestions appreciated as I want to get back on the road. I also do not want the hassle of bringing it to the dealer until I have tried at least the basics in case it is something simple. Also, tomorrow would be a good day to go at it as Hurricane Ophelia is suppose to pass which will rule out using the machine.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
If it's liquid cooled I would also check to make sure the coolant temp sensor is clean. If it's not liquid cooled, i.e. no coolant, the fans don't tend to run that often from what I have read on this site.
Jeff

·
Registered
186 Posts
If its under warranty id take it in. Its probably your temp sensor in the jug thats bad. You could check for power before the sensor. You should have 12v to ground. On the fan side u wont have 12v till the sensor heats up and closes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In my 400 ( 2004 ) it's on the lower front case, next to the hi temp switch. I have jumped it out before to prove fan operation, but I don't believe I've ever seen or heard my fan run otherwise....

Mostly winter use, and my high temp light has never come on...

I read somewhere it clicks in at 257 degrees... Odd number, but whatever...

My switch was around 60$. Never replaced it though...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and it ended up being my thermostat. When the engine is warm feel the top and bottom of the radiator. If you notice a temp difference then pull the t stat and put it in boiling water. It should open at 124* and open all of the way.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and it ended up being my thermostat. When the engine is warm feel the top and bottom of the radiator. If you notice a temp difference then pull the t stat and put it in boiling water. It should open at 124* and open all of the way.
Thermostat? I don't believe his is liquid cooled, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
have you checked for debris/mud in the rad?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thermostat? I don't believe his is liquid cooled, unless I'm misunderstanding you.
The fan temp switch is an electrical thermostat. The fan temp switch is #2 in the pic. For the longest time I didn't know if my fan worked. Here in Texas my bike has to get really hot before the fan kicks on, like 90+ degrees outside and riding very slow. I wired a toggle switch into the main harness so I can turn the fan on when I want and the temp switch works normally when my toggle switch is off.

Here is a way test the switch and the fan at the same time.

1. Disconnect the fan temp switch from the main harness.

2. Unscrew the fan temp switch from the engine (may lose a little oil)

3. Reconnect the fan temp switch to the main harness.

4. Make sure the bike is turned on but not running

5. Heat up the engine side of the temp switch with a heat gun or some other heat source.

6. Once the temp switch reaches approximately 257 degrees, the switch should activate the fan.

If it kicks on put it back together.

BTW, my fan diode is located above the oil cooler. It has one wire connected to it and bolts to the frame which grounds the diode.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I was thinking it was a liquid cooled engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The fan temp switch is an electrical thermostat. The fan temp switch is #2 in the pic. For the longest time I didn't know if my fan worked. Here in Texas my bike has to get really hot before the fan kicks on, like 90+ degrees outside and riding very slow. I wired a toggle switch into the main harness so I can turn the fan on when I want and the temp switch works normally when my toggle switch is off.

5. Heat up the engine side of the temp switch with a heat gun or some other heat source.

6. Once the temp switch reaches approximately 257 degrees, the switch should activate the fan.

BTW, my fan diode is located above the oil cooler. It has one wire connected to it and bolts to the frame which grounds the diode.

Good luck!

Good luck!
In that diagram what is number 3? I have been chasing an overheating issue. I have a 08 400 trv that's got an oil cooler I replaced the fan it was working, replaced those two switches/sensors. And still shows up as oil temp hot. I constantly find my rad being plugged as well. But I'm faithful with cleaning it every time before going for a ride.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
In that diagram what is number 3? I have been chasing an overheating issue. I have a 08 400 trv that's got an oil cooler I replaced the fan it was working, replaced those two switches/sensors. And still shows up as oil temp hot. I constantly find my rad being plugged as well. But I'm faithful with cleaning it every time before going for a ride.
One is the sensor for the fan and the other is for the idiot light on the pod.

Reactions: doorfx
1 - 11 of 11 Posts