Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A bit frustrated

Ive searched the forum on this problem and found several hits but no one closes their thread with the fix.
Intermittent ECU charge error on cluster
Have checked ECU connection for arcing
Replaced battery
Checked ground contact from frame to battery.
Replaced voltage regulator (thought this fixed it 300 miles latter sled died in garage now not charging)
Starting to lean toward stator but my experience has been usually they are good or bad on the charging side,
The headlight relay did fail (no headlight or heated handlebars) about 60 miles miles prior to this.
Replaced relay and checked output at the battery 13.9 volts and no error on display
looking for more ideas
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2011 TZ1LXR. It too is having charging issues. The Cat dealer couldn’t figure it out so now it’s my turn. Please post if you figure anything out as I will also

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the regulator again and its now working
In the process I moved its location from under the throttle bodies to above the oil tank
The wires from the stator were long enough
The regulated output wire was long enough but the ground wire was not so I had to solder in an extension
There were holes all ready on the frame. One held the bracket for the oil tank and the other was empty
If the problem returns troubleshooting will be a breeze

I will be riding it this weekend and will update

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never left the Cabin
Started sled to warm up Headlights nice and bright Voltage at 14.3
Came back 5 min later charge light on voltage still at 14.2

Didnt want to chance it dying on the trail so I became road support
Wondering if this is more wiring related
Not sure how much the ecu plays in a system with an independent voltage regulator
Next step for me is to take a close look at the path the output from the regulator takes

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fuel tank
I moved the regulator to the right side for ease of access and troubleshooting
The only wire not log enough was the black ground wire.
i am still having an intermittent output high (19.5 volts) from regulator.
Seems more frequent when using hand warmers
I have tried 2 regulators (aftermarket DB Electronics) any feedback on their product?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought about moving my regulator. As I was replacing my stator, I was looking at the frame above the oil tank and got wondering if you might be having regulator problems due to excessive heat above the muffler. I might regret it in the future, but I left it in the original position.
I did break a fitting on the tank vent hose, so it made me quit for the night..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went thru the original and 2 aftermarket regulators before I moved it. You know how big a PITA it is to get to.
I am going to monitor how warm it gets, hope its not a problem. I did replace the aux plug (Cig lighter) with a voltage
meter to keep an eye on things

1 - 12 of 12 Posts