Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a loss on this one.

2010 Prowler 700 XTX. Very low hours, 424 miles. Came in for a no start condition.
Went through all the usual checks. No codes. Has correct fuel pressure 39psi, compression 100psi so decomp. mech working, great leak down number at 8%, has spark, all valve clearances in spec, smell fuel in the cylinder so injector is spurting. Still no start, even spray straight into intake. Won't even try to hit.
Being lazy, I grabbed another plug to recheck spark, NO spark. WTF? Pulled the plug out of the head, has enough spark to light you up if you happen to be touching the plug.WTF? (even louder)
Checked voltage to coil. Tested coil. Tried new coil. Checked ohm and AC output on the crank sensor, cranked with a plug installed in the head and out, both checks in spec. 189 ohm and reaching the 5vac min. peak cranking voltage. Checked all the wires into and out of the module. Tried a new(known good used) module. Still the same results. Plug in the hole, no spark on a second plug. Remove the plug from the head to just release the compression, fantastic spark. Just lay the plug in the hole, spark disappears

Tried new battery, tried second jumper battery attached. I can tell no difference in sound in the cranking speed with the plug in or out. Have not tried a new starter so see if it is spinning too slow under compression, but since the crank sensor reads correct, I have a hard time thinking this is an issue.
I have scoured the net looking for another case. I cannot believe this is the only one in existence that has had this problem.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Weird! Plug fires out of the hole, but no spark in? Starter motor could be killing the voltage. That seems to be about the only thing that you didn't check/replace. You should have 10.5 volts at the starter while cranking.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Fairmount's theory makes sense. It will spin faster with no plug, = great spark, Pushing against compression, spins slower = no spark

I replaced the starter on my Prowler at under 700 miles. Not impressed with the quality of the part. Has a cheap, low quality look to it and so did the OEM replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Starter was going to be my next step. I already tried another ground wire with no luck .
The customer refused any more work to be done and came after it as is.
A week or so later, he calls and said it was the starter.
What I need to know from someone that knows, how a starter motor can cause a loss of spark. Especially one that seems to turn over without effort or strain.
I have rebuilt or replaced hundreds of starters over the many years, there was not one that would cause a loss of spark before it gave out.
So now, I'm stuck with a new Arctic Cat parts coil and a good used CDI that sparks. If anyone needs them, they are for sale at cost.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I would curious to know what the voltage dropped was, with and without the plug in, while cranking. This site has always preached the AC EFI system is very sensitive to low voltage. I agree with you that it's odd.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I would curious to know what the voltage dropped was, with and without the plug in, while cranking. This site has always preached the AC EFI system is very sensitive to low voltage. I agree with you that it's odd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts