Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

2010 F8 Engine Suddenly Stops

23K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  5th_Comeback 
#1 ·
Hello-

I've had no luck to diagnose a problem with my 2010 F* Sno Pro with the HO800 engine, and while it came up last year, and spent time at the dealer, m first ride this year ended up with the same issues.

My 2010 F8 Sno Pro with the HO800 has started to do the same thing, and I have yet to see a thread to correctly diagnose the problem. Last sledding season, my sled completely died on the trail, and after 1 1/2 months at the dealer, I got it back too late to ride more.....he was able to ride it and see this intermittent problem of engine dying....like an electrical shut off. Checked the handle bar throttle position switch - a common issue - even switched it out, but that was not the problem. After his diagnostics, he finally replaced the engine mounted throttle position sensor as his solution.

This season, on my first ride, after about 10 miles of faultless riding, it died suddenly, but restarted first pull, so I turned around to head back. It did this routine twice more within two miles, then did not restart quickly.....but letting things sit seemed to restart again, but only run for a short time. When it quits, all electric seems to go off - no headlight, no dash, as the engine spins down and the sled stops.

Other than initially restarting, different than last year, I also noticed as I was trying to baby it back, that it seemed to run fine at full throttle, but at partial throttle, I noted a slight popping out of the exhaust, and some throttle hesitation, particularly just starting to apply the gas.

So, once again, I have it into the dealer, and am anguishing as to what will fix it. I have it to a different dealer (as we seem to have a shortage of close Artic Cat dealers in northern VT), and his initial take from my description is a fuel regulation problem. To me, since all electrics seem to just go off when it stops, it seems to be an issue in the electric system, so I'm not sure that a fuel regulator issue would intermittently stop the engine like that. I have heard of stator issues on all Arctic Cats - which is an expensive repair, but have not heard him bring it up.

Intermittent issues are a pain to diagnose and fix, and can suck a lot of expensive time, so I am hoping that other forum users may have had similar issues and can offer some of their experience as to what to look at.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
your sure the engine isn't seizing when it does this? when it didn't want to start again after the third time, was it hard to pull over? have you pulled the y-pipe off and checked the pistons for scoring?

have you checked the plugs from the stator and ecu to see if they are maybe loose? check the pod plug to see if the locking clip is still intact?

even if I were to hit the kill switch on my sled, the lights would still be powered by the engine spinning down.

to me it sounds like a seize, because you say all the lights go off immediately.

Reactions: ptindustrial
#4 ·
Check the harness for the stator where it comes out of the block. Not common, but the vibrations for the 800 can break the wires. Other common electrical problem areas are the wiring to the fuel pump and to the valve servo motor. I am diagnosing a very similar issue with a 2010 F8LXR and it is definitely an electrical issue. So far on this one I've replaced a burned up ECU, the complete harness under the hood, chassis control unit, and servo motor before someone sent me pics of the broken wires from the stator. I will be tearing into mine over the weekend. But sounds like a good possibility since, as you are experiencing, it "just shuts off" electrically... no lights, no gauges, nothing....

I will post back what I find, but wanted to share that you are not alone on this issue........

Reactions: ptindustrial
#5 ·
All good stuff

Thanks for the helpful posts.....as now I have several things to chase down on the sled....

The issues with loose plugs or even a broken wire sound plausible due to the intermittent nature of the stops.

Pulling the sled to restart after it stops does not get any harder than normal, the engine spins over as normal. Pulling the pipes sound like a quick check of internals too......

Many thanks and good luck on your sled with similar issues.....

Hope to post a positive finding and conclusion soon......

#7 ·
No Codes

After several trouble free seasons of riding, last year, about mid season, the only code I got was the dreaded octane code.....and have learned a lot about that too...... No solution for that it seems, as nothing about the fuel I'm using has changed. I did start out this season with non-ethanol premium in the tank though.....:)

But for this issue of engine cutting out - no codes have come up!

You are right - intermittent issues can test our patience, and electrical stuff....well....probably should have a lot more understanding about how these machines work than I do....hence I depend on those of you who know more about them than I do!

I still have my fingers crossed that a loose plug in the harness, or bare wire is found....otherwise, how far do you do...darn ECM's!

#9 ·
2010 F8 Snopro Engine Dies

Hello-
Sorry to hear you are having the same type of engine problem that I had. I spent lots of hours trying to diagnose on line, and was surprised that so many other things made similar issues, but on my sled, non helped.
I finally took it into a small Cat dealer, whose owner does the mechanic work. He went through the normal diagnostic list, and after some more work, he finally found it was a faulty crankshaft position sensor. Not too expensive part to replace, but that was the fix. Wow!
I lost most of that riding season, but since then, not an issue other than pure joy with that engine!
Good luck fixing your engine issue.....let us know is the crank sensor is your problem too.....as I've talked to one more person with identical issues, and same problem too!

#11 ·
That crank sensor loses its ability to keep its "ground" as engine heats up and aluminum begins to expand, thus creating an air gap between mounting and the sensor itself...
This was a very common issue years ago with several yamaha 540cc engines... Let them sit a while to cool down and it would have its ground back, and then once again run (until it once again heated to the point previously causing break of ground)... Those "second series" of starting up/running are always shorter though (as engine hasn't sat overnight to cool completely down, and allow longer running before expansion takes place)

#12 ·
One of the charge coils tested bad on the stator, so I ordered one from RM Stator. I also ordered an ignition sensor since it was only $30 and you mentioned it could be part of the problem.

When I tore into it, I found a wire rubbed through on one of the ignition sensors. Of course since there are two, it isn't the one RM Stator sent me...Bought one on eBay.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Having the same problem with 07 F8 LXR ride 1/2 mile shuts itself off, like I hit killswitch, but I didn't, starts right up, ride another 1/4 mile happens again, not really hot, restarts right after then ride 30 miles no problem so I don't think its a hot issue. I think I must have a loose connection or wire rub ,don't know where to start looking, will start looking at all of harness for a rub or break, possible key switch issue? I'm lost with this. Also noticed when I shut it off buzzing, humming sound from under hood for about 20-30 minutes. Help please.

#14 ·
Sounds a lot like what was happening to me. If you don't find a wire rub, test your stator and ignition sensor with an ohmmeter. I think I had two issues going on; one was the stator on the way out and the other was the ignition sensor. Buzzed around the lake a while this weekend and it never did it.

I also heard that hum, even after sitting in the garage for a day, and it seemed to be coming from my fuel pump.

#17 ·
Here I am upper Wis. 12 miles into a ride I stop turn off the engine, look at a map
Start the sled put it into reverse start going backwards then baaawww baawww died
Never to restart again ?

Hitch hikes to my truck and trailer, drug the dead sled up unto the trailer.
Called dealer back home and said I'm dropping off a 2009 F800 Sunday , he said leave a note and your #

#31 ·
Did you
Here I am upper Wis. 12 miles into a ride I stop turn off the engine, look at a map
Start the sled put it into reverse start going backwards then baaawww baawww died
Never to restart again ?

Called dealer back home and said I'm dropping off a 2009 F800 Sunday , he said leave a note
Never to restart again ?

Called dealer back home and said I'm dropping off a 2009 F800 Sunday , he said leave a note and your #
Did you figure out the problem. Mine just did the same thing.

#19 ·
I am having the same issue with a 2010 800 LXR. The sled stalls quite frequently. I wiggle the throttle cable where it meets the control on the throttle lever on handlebar and it will restart, but it acts up and wants to stall. When I sense it is going to stall I can sometimes let off the throttle and it will idle back up avoiding a stall. I am going to replace the throttle cable to see if it helps. I also noticed my fuel pump making a noise after I pulled into garage and shut off. Not sure what that's about. But do you think its the throttle cable or TSS? Where can the TSS be disconnected or bypassed on a 2010 800 LXR? Dealer just charges money saying it needed adjustment but problem still exists.

#26 ·
The reeds are front of the throttle bodies and not easy to get to ( at least on a CF). My bad reed symptoms were hard starting and bogging (wouldn’t go over 50). It would run ok otherwise at light throttle - less the occasional complete shutdown (like hitting the kill switch), which I’m still trying to pinpoint.

#27 ·
Mine starts easy, first turn of the key. I have no limits on speed or acceleration except for when it wants to stall. Problem is intermittent. I checked all the wiring for any wear & tear but it all looks good. I will keep searching for answers. Good luck and let me know what you find.

#28 ·
Just got mine back, the TSS was worn through and shorted on the steering neck.
( the guy before me disconnected the kill switch and added a helmet heayer connection) he never ran the wires back the way he found them.
Also the oil pump arm was on upside down/ backwards which would catch on the fuel pump line / cable ?
It's all good now
$162. Well spent

#33 ·
Throttle safety switch grounded / shorted out...the previous owner wired in a helmet heater outlet so he was in the console, also disconnected the kill switch so if he landed hard didn't slam down on the bars and kill switch ....but bottom line the T.S.S. was shorted / grounded out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.