Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this last year and could not find anyone that had done it. I am going to try it this year. I wanted a 200cc with lighting coil which was hard enough to find so I decided to just get the electric start engine and add an extra coil. The only make I could find was Hy-spec sourced through Wajax industrial components and the cost was $265.00. I have an extra charging coil from a Honda GX270 which should fit. The only major problem with be the steering knuckle, I will have to cut away some of the bulkhead and reposition it further forward to clear the starter motor. I will post some picture here when I start the project. I can't believe none of the manufacturers have added electric start, especially for the price of these things. I recently bought a 50cc atv (Gio) with suspension, electric start, lights etc... for $400.00 shipped to my door taxes in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
project completed

Well it took 3 full days but I got it to fit and it works great. I had to cut part of the front bulkhead out and move it forward 1" and then re-bend the steering knuckle plate. A few other things needed alteration including moving the choke to opposite side, making brackets for throttle and choke cable connection, battery bracket, new pipe (electrical conduit) to muffler, tapped new hole in block for oil filling. removed governor, installed spacers ( approx. 1/8" thick washers) under valve springs to increase pressure, added second charging coil, and rectifier. Replacement engine's air filter assembly fit perfect . While doing it replaced the clutch with one made by Hilliard and changed the driven sprocket to a 30 tooth ( princess auto). Here are some pictures, I have many more if anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
just wondering if you have anymore pictures of the carb side and how you hooked the throttle up and what you did with the steering knuckle plate. and any other info would be great. i already cut the bulk head and welded it up. thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya here are a few more. as I recall I had to grind weld between steering shafts and plate and move it down a bit and reweld. as for the throttle linkage I welded a small tab on to hold the stock throttle cable. for choke I used a universal choke cable . Had my three year old out today for 5km ride on it. Feel free to ask for more pics or questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few other things I did to it as well. studded the track and added heated grips which you can get on ebay for around 3 dollars with free shipping from China.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i was going to lengthen i steering about a 1/4'' but you shortened yours? does yours still hit the stop at the top where the shaft is bolted

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I lengthened it to allow it to reach farther forward to the new bulkhead location. Also I just remembered I had to replace the steering knuckle/ tie rod end bolts with 5/16" carriage bolts pointing upwards. I think I spot welded the bolt head to the knuckle plate. this allowed more clearance, the stock bolt heads were hitting when turning. Yes I have the full range of motion, hitting factory stops on top end of steering shafts. I didn't even have to readjust tie rods.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got everything installed and got it running today. i still have to order a new cable for the choke. i wired in the tether. i still have have to take the governor out and figure out the gearing, but right now its a good speed to break it in and it warming up this weekend so i wanted my son to be able to ride while its warm. its about the same speed as the 120 right now but it has a lot more bottom end. i tried bending the steering knuckle but when i tested it out it was hard to turn i couldn't figure out why so i bent it back. so the steering is only at 90% i will try it again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts