Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
:bleedgreen You don't mention how tall you are, this has to be considered, I have the same machine and I'm '6-2" and don't have anyproblems with it :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ctommasini @ Nov 21 2009, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:bleedgreen You don't mention how tall you are, this has to be considered, I have the same machine and I'm '6-2" and don't have anyproblems with it :beer_cheers:[/b]
I am only 5'6" tall.

·
Registered
152 Posts
iam putting the tall one on with a brace , the short one would not protect from the bottom of helmet and chin and neck would get cold.Iam 6 ft tall,

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just got my 2010 Z1 LXR and I am also concerned about windshield height.
Would a windshield from a Z1 Touring be a good choice? I don't want to deal with a brace.

·
Registered
266 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mainebound @ Nov 21 2009, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is the stock windshield height tall enough for good protection? or should I get the high one?[/b]
No it's not and yes you should find a taller one. There are some after markets ones as well and they do not need a brace!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am 6 ft 4 inches tall and when I ride My 09 Z1 LXR the wind hits the very top of my helmet which is fine for me. But I do ride kinda of hunched over and do not sit up nice and straight.

·
Registered
160 Posts
you guys should have seen the one that came on my 2010. it was about 4 inches high.lol! i put on the mid height one that came on the 09 standard. i painted it black. i think it will be fine for me as i am only 5'10"

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
IF it's the same height as the LE, (Z1 Turbo LXR LE) NO WAY! I have the frost-bite marks to prove it. Took almost a year to get in the tall with the brace. I'm 5'7" and at cruising speed, the wind hit me in the chest, then up into the helmet.

·
Registered
491 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tinfantino @ Nov 22 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
iam putting the tall one on with a brace , the short one would not protect from the bottom of helmet and chin and neck would get cold.Iam 6 ft tall,[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phj @ Dec 9 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mainebound @ Nov 21 2009, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the stock windshield height tall enough for good protection? or should I get the high one?[/b]
No it's not and yes you should find a taller one. There are some after markets ones as well and they do not need a brace!
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lvr1000 @ Dec 11 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
IF it's the same height as the LE, (Z1 Turbo LXR LE) NO WAY! I have the frost-bite marks to prove it. Took almost a year to get in the tall with the brace. I'm 5'7" and at cruising speed, the wind hit me in the chest, then up into the helmet.[/b]
You guys should look into a windproof balaclava . We ride in widchills down to -50 C and i have NEVER
had frostbite . Except for the one time i took the sled out on the river for a test run and figured i didn't need it . Wind went straight to my neck and chin and froze me up good in about 2 min .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here are some pictures to compare. Both windshields are for Z1/TZ1 Turbo, will not fit non turbo sleds.
The Copper color is the stock 2009 Turbo LE Windshield p/n 5606-666, rated as "Mid" hight. The tint one is p/n 5639-154 rated as "High" hight. The tint one is without holes for mirrors, but pre-drilled for brace kit p/n 5639-455.

[attachment=141605:300_4078.JPG]

[attachment=141606:300_4079.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Randycat @ Dec 11 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tinfantino @ Nov 22 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
iam putting the tall one on with a brace , the short one would not protect from the bottom of helmet and chin and neck would get cold.Iam 6 ft tall,[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phj @ Dec 9 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mainebound @ Nov 21 2009, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lvr1000 @ Dec 11 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
IF it's the same height as the LE, (Z1 Turbo LXR LE) NO WAY! I have the frost-bite marks to prove it. Took almost a year to get in the tall with the brace. I'm 5'7" and at cruising speed, the wind hit me in the chest, then up into the helmet.[/b]
You guys should look into a windproof balaclava . We ride in widchills down to -50 C and i have NEVER
had frostbite . Except for the one time i took the sled out on the river for a test run and figured i didn't need it . Wind went straight to my neck and chin and froze me up good in about 2 min .
[/b][/quote]
:pics;

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I think a lot of people are confusing which windshield comes on which sled. He is asking (if I'm reading what he posted correctly) about a Z1 NON TURBO LXR which will be the mid-height (12" tall) and provides considerable wind protection.

The TURBO models have totally different windshields and the stock TURBO windshield is not much better than the "LOW" (7.5" tall) windshield that is stock on the F5,6,8,1000 standard/sno pro sleds... the one that is barely over the gauge cluster (and the wind hits you right under the chin). The LXR get the mid-height which actually has more protection than the 2007 LXR adjustable windshield provided.

Maybe Cat should change the names on these 4 stroke sleds as it seems more often than not lately that everyone hears Z1 and immediately are thinking TURBO..... or people use Z1 for the Turbo and don't specify it over the non-turbo .......

·
Registered
170 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (taperk600 @ Dec 12 2009, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think a lot of people are confusing which windshield comes on which sled. He is asking (if I'm reading what he posted correctly) about a Z1 NON TURBO LXR which will be the mid-height (12" tall) and provides considerable wind protection.
...................[/b]
Even if a Turbo windshield does not fit a non Turbo Z1/TZ1 You can use "ratings" to help Your decision.

If You collect the info available and compare to Arctic Cat Accessories Catalog it should be possible to make Yourself an "Image" of what size windshield You need.
[attachment=141648:Windscreens.pdf]

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
For what it is worth. I have survived 3 winter seasons with a stock 2007 Z1 windshield, the adjustable one. But riding with balaclava and ekstra face protection the whole season is cumbersome and when AC came with the extra high windshield this year I installed it. I am only 5'6" but since I like to adjust my seating position I like the fantastic protection this windshield gives me. :D The brace had to be cut to fit on the 2007, but no big deal. I also put it on my wife's 2008 F5. This is not a very good picture but it gives you an idea of the protection. Please note that I did mount the mirrors a little to high and had to readjust the handlebars to avoid them hitting the mirrors when turning. :oops: The bars should pass above the mirrors when in the lowest position...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Stock windshield

First ride told me it was too low for me. Found a brand new 23" windshield for a Z1 Bearcat on Ebay for $50 that came with the support brace. Raise the seat 2/3 the way up & switch to the tall windshield for riding & keeping the stock one for trailering. Takes all of 5 minutes to switch.
I love it with little to no wind & great hand protection from the elements.
The younger sport riders laugh at me & can't stand to ride my warm comfortable sled when we switch for a few miles.
Best option I have added to the Z1 which I consider to be nearly the perfect trail sled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts