Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help I have a 2009 Arctic Cat Thundercat 1000 H2. I have 640miles on this unit. Since I bought it brand new I have done nothing but work on it or it has sat in the barn. First the bike will not crank like it should for it to be fuel injected it will turn over but not crank and is said volt on the display and would make a humming sound, so first i thought it was the battery so i changed the battery & put in new spark plugs no luck so then i put on a new solenoid no luck then took it to a Arctic Cat dealer and they told me it was the voltage regulator so i replaced it & a new battery thought the problem was fixed it fired right up and ran fine. So I stopped and then came back a hour later to check and it would turn over but it would not crank and on the display pannel it stated volt!! Someone please give me some advise other than sale it!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

This really helps out i have done everything i can think of maybe trying this guys idea will help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well its the same ole problems. I have replaced the voltage regulator and battery this time when i try to crank it i will get a humming sound and so i take the battery cover off and the postive termial is starting to melt down so im beging to wonder if its the stator gone to the bad or the regulator i bought is a dud. So to sum it all up I have a 09 Arctic Cat Thundercat for sale that runs great when it will crank. If anybody thats knows what they are doing unlike me they can have a 09 thundercat with 650 mile & 103 hours on it for $6500.00

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
When you stated that you were melting down the battery terminal it makes it obvious you're getting plenty of juice to the starter. Pull the plugs out and give it a couple cranks, then put them back in and try it. You're not going to want to hear this, but I'll bet one of your head gaskets is blown. Hope I'm wrong, but it happened to mine.

Reactions: Blair09

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope your wrong

Yeah I sure hope you are wrong because I have had nothing but trouble with this four wheeler since i bought it. Thanks for the tip,
Please explain why i need to pull the plugs and turn it over what is this doing and what am i looking for when i do this? I know very little about working on them but i can do some for the basic stuff. I have also been told that i might need a whole new wireing harness or that it might need a new starter & or stator. All the help im getting is from good people like you and the others on here, the guys at the shops say its one thing so i fix that and the problems still are present. Like i said i have spent enough money already on it to try to fix it that i could have it paid off by now lol and thats the bad thing i still owe money on this unit.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I don't think it's a bad head gasket. Can you pinpoint where the humming sound it coming from? It sound like you have some bad wiring somewhere.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
If it is one of the head gaskets you could have coolant leaking into one of the cylinders. You can't compress liquid, so the engine won't turn over. I had my starter so hot you couldn't touch it. Pull the plugs and hit the starter, and if A.F. sprays out you've got your answer. What troubles me about this being the problem is for it to happen to a machine with so few miles. Mine was always a bear to start, but got progressively worse until it acted like yours.

Yeah I sure hope you are wrong because I have had nothing but trouble with this four wheeler since i bought it. Thanks for the tip,
Please explain why i need to pull the plugs and turn it over what is this doing and what am i looking for when i do this? I know very little about working on them but i can do some for the basic stuff. I have also been told that i might need a whole new wireing harness or that it might need a new starter & or stator. All the help im getting is from good people like you and the others on here, the guys at the shops say its one thing so i fix that and the problems still are present. Like i said i have spent enough money already on it to try to fix it that i could have it paid off by now lol and thats the bad thing i still owe money on this unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think it's a bad head gasket. Can you pinpoint where the humming sound it coming from? It sound like you have some bad wiring somewhere.
Coming somewhere from the battery/solnoid area. also i replace the solenoid and voltage regulator still getting th humming. the guys at the shop said that the voltage reg was bad putting out way too much power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

If it is one of the head gaskets you could have coolant leaking into one of the cylinders. You can't compress liquid, so the engine won't turn over. I had my starter so hot you couldn't touch it. Pull the plugs and hit the starter, and if A.F. sprays out you've got your answer. What troubles me about this being the problem is for it to happen to a machine with so few miles. Mine was always a bear to start, but got progressively worse until it acted like yours.
Thanks I will try this & see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
The loud humming could be your fuel pump, i am wondering if your not getting enough fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok yeah I know the sound of the fuel pump but this humming is something different. But your right i could check the fuel filter and make sure the pump is pushing fuel like it should. But still this really dont explain why the battery teminal is melting down.

Also is there anywhere I can post this four wheeler on here for sale?
I'm thinking this four wheeler will make some one a very nice ride if they had the know how to fix & extra cash on hand to do it with. I have spent about all I'm willing to spend on it I really wish I could get rid of the four wheeler and get me a new one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
starter fix

Had the same problem as u. Hard start, put brand new battery. That didnt fix it so found a new fix. U put an extra battery in series to make it 24 volts to just the starter. That humming noise u here is the starter tring to crank over engine. There is a post on here about the 24v fix. Google starter drag on Google and it shows everything u need to know. Worked perfect for me. Its like a whole new bike

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
There is a starter update and an update to the starter update I would look into that. The first starter update has a reduction gear and a starter and the update to the update I think is just a different starter. I was told they had some issues with the magnets in the first updated starter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts