Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trouble starting often. Sometimes starts and then sound "bogged down" and won't drive without stalling out. "EFI" flashes on display when it doesn't start most of the time. Increasing in frequency. When it does start without the error, it seems to run just fine, so it is intermittent. I'm running it this winter, plowing etc. It is hit and miss, no way to predict when it's going to be a problem as it happens after running it for a while at times (when it is warmed up), or when first starting for the day (but more often when first starting).

I am trying to get a starting diagnosis to determine if this is a dealership repair job or something I can attempt myself or with some qualified help plus parts etc.

Thanks everyone.

·
Administrator
42,240 Posts
Start with making sure the battery is fully charged and in good condition. Keep it on a battery maintainer when not using it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EFI and Battery association

Start with making sure the battery is fully charged and in good condition. Keep it on a battery maintainer when not using it
Doorfx - Thanks for the response. I actually have had it give me a "VOLT" error code on the display as well as the EFI the one time... but after trying to start it over and over again, so I just assumed it was only because I had tried too long and it was inevitable. Are you suggesting that the EFI code is a shortage of voltage?

I do have the trouble starting and such without the EFI error displayed or the VOLT error, so is it still most likely the battery? What else can I do to determine this?

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
The 700 takes a full battery to run the efi system. Little drain it won't run right if at all

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
also on the 09 mud pro,, make sure you have the red run switch on run,,, before you turn the key on
otherwise you will crank it till the cows come home efi will flash and the needle will sweep..

mine will do the same thing
the fix
leave the red run switch on and use the key to turn it on and off

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EFI and Battery association

Thanks all.

I did have the opportunity to put it on a battery minder after the time it wouldn't go long enough for the VOLT error to display. It took a very long time to charge it back up and it wouldn't start even then for a while. I just so happened to try it again with the charger off it and it fired up as if there was never an issue.

So then, I will clean all my battery contacts, keep it charged and determine if this seems to be the main culprit.

If in the case where the battery isn't the issue, what would be my next point of diagnosis?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check your plugs, wires, grounds etc.

Find the electrical specs on the throttle position sensor and the idle air control valve. These should both be simple voltage or resistance checks with tolerance range. Also, take the air boot off the intake and see if there is soot build up on the butterfly. A slight buildup of carbon can cause poor acceleration and could clog the idle air control port. If you clean this area be careful what types of cleaners you use, make sure they are electronics safe cleaners.

After this I would look into the crank position sensor. This sensor is magnetic and unlikely a failure point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check your plugs, wires, grounds etc.

Find the electrical specs on the throttle position sensor and the idle air control valve. These should both be simple voltage or resistance checks with tolerance range. Also, take the air boot off the intake and see if there is soot build up on the butterfly. A slight buildup of carbon can cause poor acceleration and could clog the idle air control port. If you clean this area be careful what types of cleaners you use, make sure they are electronics safe cleaners.

After this I would look into the crank position sensor. This sensor is magnetic and unlikely a failure point.
Celder, thanks for your thoughful response. So far so good, this morning was quite cold -25C or so, and it wouldn't start right away, but after the sixth attempt it fired up and seems alright. I ran it yesturday and plowed for about 3 hours so it had a good warm run. Today I'll be hoping to place the battery minder leads on the battery to permanently keep it juiced for the rest of the winter.

·
Administrator
8,068 Posts
plowing takes voltage away from your machine with the constant winch going up and down, possible handwarmers on and even the headlights at night. I always charge my quad's battery after every snowplowing session. Its a 700 efi.
I made a male plug ( like used on a spot light) and i plug it into my pod and to the battery tender. It doesnt get any easier than that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.