Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my sled out for the first couple times this year. I bought a 2009 Crossfire as a hold over and wow do i love this machine!! I but about 75 miles on yesterday in alot of powder and geez it seems like it using alot of oil. I guess more oil is better then none at all.

How do you check this to see were its at and how do you know how to set it?

·
Registered
290 Posts
How much gas did you use? There is a lot of chatter on this site regarding oil consumption. Your comment "I guess more oil is better then none at all" is reaffirming the obvious. In my 40 years of owning Arctic Cat snowmobiles I have found oil is less expensive than pistons, cylinders and crank bearings.

Depending on your fuel consumption the oil usage may be normal. Another factor is the RPM you are running. The throttle opening has a direct impact on oil consumtion. Over your next few rides monitor the amount of fuel and the amount of oil. A ratio of (40 : 1) I would consider normal. The oil pump setting is adjustable and the factory setting will be on the safe side to minimize liability related to engine damage.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That snow conditions that we currently are riding in is powder. We are ditchbanging but the snow blew in the ditch and there is a **** ton of powder. There is a lot of throttle and track spining so that is very true about the oil. Takes lots of power toget threw that snow. I will take the oil consumption for 8 hours of some of the best riding I have ever had in years!!!!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcatf6snopro @ Dec 23 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just got my sled out for the first couple times this year. I bought a 2009 Crossfire as a hold over and wow do i love this machine!! I but about 75 miles on yesterday in alot of powder and geez it seems like it using alot of oil. I guess more oil is better then none at all.

How do you check this to see were its at and how do you know how to set it?[/b]

Here is a link to a pinned topic in the Firecat/ XFR/ Sabercat section on checking the oil usage and adjusting the oil pump arm.
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46026

I do not think I checked my oil usage at all last year, I decided to check it this year after my first and only ride this year and it was 27:1.......crazy settings from factory.
I am going to check it a couple more times, see if it is a consistant average and then make the changes to the oil pump arm.
I too agree, using a bit of extra oil is fine, cheaper than rings and pistons, but 27:1, that is just insane.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
I run 32:1 on purpose, the guy I ride for runs 28:1 in a 230+hp M1000, is 27:1 REALLY that crazy???

Yeah, we run more oil because it slows down our little sally sleds, and it doesn't work...

Sorry, but after seeing people mess up their sleds, threads like this are a pet peave of mine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree 100% with silverram!! my sleds seem to drink a ton of oil too but they are staying that way. I have never had engine problems, not even fouled a plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts