Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 700H1 and it will not start. Here is a little history. It started acting up when it would get warm. It would run fine until you shut it off then it would not start again until you let it sit. The amount of time you had to let it sit got longer and longer. Now it will not start at all. I thought it might be a fuel issue so I replaced the pump. That did not help. It has a new spark plug. I tested the coil according to the service manual and lt looks ok. The crankshaft sensor test only produced about 3v when cranking the motor. The manual says it should be 5. I replaced the sensor and it did not help. It now is at 2v. I have not replaced the stator just the sensor. The tilt sensor checks out ok on the tilt but it does show 2v to the brown wire at the plug. The manual says it should be at 0. Not sure what to do there. The starter was worn out so I put a new starter on it. Now I am running low on ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,032 Posts
Check along the wiring harness for bare wires or rubbing in the frame. Also check the three wires coming from the stator if they are melted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stator wires and plug look good. I will follow the wires along the frame and see what I can find.

Thanks

·
Administrator
7,967 Posts
Might be time for a trip to the dealer. Have you tried giving it a little throttle while cranking? These machines act weird with a bad voltage regulator, but I've never heard of one that would not start before. Does it give you any codes? And do you know how to check for codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is crazy, It does not give any codes. Even when it was first acting up it would not throw a code.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't reset or adjusted the sensors. I will try that tonight. What type of symptoms do you see with a bad voltage regulator?

·
Administrator
7,967 Posts
In my case 09 700H1 i would get a high idle while it was in gear. Shift back to neutral and 10 seconds later it would idle down. On our 07 700's it would show "volt" on the pod but checking voltage was normal and withing specs. It also backfired a few times. In both cases, it never threw a code. They arent overly expensive @ $65. But I have never heard of one that didnt let the quad start. You can check your voltage at the pod outlet but it has to be running to get the right reading. Mine registered 18 volts so I knew it was bad. Not positive it isnt gas related, can you test the injector? and are you sure it getting gas? If your plug is wet from over cranking, your getting gas.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Re-check your coil and plug wire for voltage & resistance.

My '09 550 just up and died on me a few weeks ago.

I checked for spark immediately and it had it, but would fire/die/fire/die/crank/crank/crank/fire/run/die...........:angry:

I ended up chasing what I thought was a fuel issue for about a week to no avail.

On a hunch I re-checked my coil resistance and spark - NONE

Sounds like you've just about checked everything and it's not throwing codes.......so just my my2cents

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thank you. Now I am not getting any spark at all so I put a new coil and plug boot on it and no luck. I ordered a controller. I hope that is it. I am running out of options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 700H1 and it will not start. Here is a little history. It started acting up when it would get warm. It would run fine until you shut it off then it would not start again until you let it sit. The amount of time you had to let it sit got longer and longer. Now it will not start at all. I thought it might be a fuel issue so I replaced the pump. That did not help. It has a new spark plug. I tested the coil according to the service manual and lt looks ok. The crankshaft sensor test only produced about 3v when cranking the motor. The manual says it should be 5. I replaced the sensor and it did not help. It now is at 2v. I have not replaced the stator just the sensor. The tilt sensor checks out ok on the tilt but it does show 2v to the brown wire at the plug. The manual says it should be at 0. Not sure what to do there. The starter was worn out so I put a new starter on it. Now I am running low on ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
I have the EXACT same thing happening on my 2009 700H1. It is driving me crazy trying to trouble shoot. Did you ever find the issue? Resolution?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts