Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 550 last weekend. The piston arm is loose on the crankshaft. So looks like a rebuild project.
At this point in just figuring parts and cost out and posting pictures of the rebuild.
Anyone's opinion on either buying a new crankshaft or getting it rebuilt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
I think I saw a rotating assembly on eBay for $550

Reactions: ArcticFrost

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Power washed the frame, took the case apart...I was happy to find that the magneto puller I had for the 700 fit on this 550...cleaned up the metal crumbs inside, new crankshaft in, put a new cv boot($11 on eBay) on while waiting for a few engine parts.

I'm wondering where to find the diff lock switch cover. It has the switch and I can stick something in it to get on or off I just need the cover.

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
Do you have a case splitter ?

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
Looks good

·
Administrator
40,716 Posts
Check it with an inside micrometer and see if it is within spec.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took it back down and the bore measures exactly spec at 92mm. I'm wondering if I didn't hone through their plating? So I'm checking my options for plating the cylinder. Like they say, "There's no replacement for displacement."

Anyway, stuck it all together, hooked it up and it went putt-putt. Got to put gas in it next. Lol

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Kinda reminds me of NakedCat. Is he still on here?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I understand this is a super old thread but do you remember what crankshaft you put in? Was the the Arctic cat one or was it a hot rods one? I am trying to figure out if the hot rods crank is a stroker or just the same as the stock one instead

1 - 20 of 31 Posts