Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 F5 EFI that runs poorly. When I bought it the ecu06 code was on as well as the wrench symbol. I pulled the pod and found the temp sensor wires disconnected. The wires to the sensor had worn on the bulk head. I taped the wires and plugged in the sensor. It was very hard to start and will hardly run. I disconnected the sensor and it runs better, but still bad. It will put around thr driveway and rev up once in a while. Any one have info or had issues like this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I swapped out the water temp sensor and it ran perfect, then fell on its face again. I found a few wires here and there that had bare spots. Some from mice, some from rubbing.
The gas smelled ok, but after talking to a friend he suggested emptying the fuel tank and refilling with fresh non oxy(which I only use). It fired up up but still ran rough. I put it on the stand and worked the throttle a bit. It finally belched smoke like crazy and revved up! Took it out for a ride and after a few rounds in the field it is working good now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put on 70 miles. Started running bad again. Took pump out and did the bic spring upgrade. No change, runs terrible again. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changed out used throttle body with tps. Bench cleaned injectors. Checked fuel pressure with 12v power was 46psi. Took 8 pulls to start. Still idles high. Maintains 46psi while running. Initially revs up to 7950 but immediately bogs to 6000, then down to 4000 and almost dies. Trimmed off plug wires. Swapped in used ccu, no change. Swapped in used ecu, no change. Tested ignition sensor, 98ohms.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is a guy on YouTube that went through everything you are
The author is Kc Yukon
5 videos if I can recall
He pulled his hair out
And finally
Replaced the entire wire harness !!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a guy on YouTube that went through everything you are
The author is Kc Yukon
5 videos if I can recall
He pulled his hair out
And finally
Replaced the entire wire harness !!
Thank you I'll look for it...

Looked and only found an F8 video that he checked harness and ended up taking to dealer and it was ignition timing sensor. Thanks for a direction to look

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll try to find a link to the ones after that one, the dealer fix didnt last ! In the harness was a short that made it intermittent. He bought a used wire harness eventually

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the other two videos, one on follow up to coils, one on wire harness replacement. I'm going to swap a used stator...then I guess pull harness apart. I have ohmed all the wires from plug to plug, but I have not checked for voltage drop. I will be wiring a bulb to one end and power each circuit from the other end.

Thank you 5th_comeback

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I swapped in a used stator. No change. I tested my stator and the used one and the readings were the same. I looked for harnesses...but decided to pull mine and test circuits. Harness is out, charging up a battery then start testing!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Flex it around too
I had a indy 600 that would die on and off intermittently
Ends up it was a bulb type connector under the motor in the belly pan bouncing around connected, not connected. ( gave up had a dealer figure that mystery out)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sled is running now. Ended up being microparticles plugging the screens on the injectors. I will add more detail tomorrow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Final recap of issue....
Temp sensor code was on and was not revving up. Found temp sensor plug disconnected and chaffed/chewed. Also ground on engine near recoil was broken. Fixed wires, plugged in sensor and it ran worse. Installed new coolant temp sensor and no change. Checked for other rubbed wires, ohmed circuits, ran with pod and handle bars disconnected and no change. Used 12v to pump entire contents of tank out and refilled with fresh nonoxy and a bit of heat and BAM ram good. Slight bog while moving at 10mph 4000rpm. Ran in field for 30 miles. Put on another 40 miles on trail and almost didn't make it home. Pulled pump, cleaned smart valves/screens and installed bic pen springs. It now ran worse. Bought a used throttle body and swapped it in. Took fuel rail and filled it with carb cleaner the powered injectors and the cleaner passed through. Installed fuel pressure gauge and steady 46psi with no change when bog out. Swapped a used ecu, ccu, stator, and no change. Pulled wire harness and powered each circuit with 12v and all illuminated a light bulb. Tested coil, stator, and timing sensor(tested below book spec at 98ohms but matched used sensor). Put sled back together. Was thinking fuel pump or pressure regulator now. Before installing the tank I hooked just an injector to the fuel line and powered with 12v. I used a 9v jumper to fire injector into a jag with tape on top and it would only dribble out fuel. Inspected injector and the cup basket screens were clogged. Tested other injectors and they sprayed nice, good flow.
Cleaned and installed other injectors and put all back together. Started 3rd pull. Ran a bit rough until air in fuel line fuel purged. Runs great now. Accelerates from stop or from any moving speed rpm.
I took my clogged injectors to the Carburator Shop in Forest Lake, MN to get new cup basket screens, get cleaned and flow tested. I will reinstall them when done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts