·
Administrator
42,440 Posts
Rm stator?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok I put in the new Voltage Regulator and the sputtering went away. After going back and forth 3 to 4 time. I went from a sputtering ATV to not much power. Plus, there was smoke coming from under the seat. SOOO with this said I will search around for an ATV mechanic. I'm totally done trying to figure this out. All the part I replace does not seem to be the fix. And I by no mean, am not made of money. Should've found someone that knows what they are doing. Thank you all for your input, Once I have it fix, I will let you all no what the problem was. Not investing in another cat for my next purchase. Have a good night you all.

·
Administrator
42,440 Posts
It’s not just Cat, they all have issues. Sometimes like you said, it’s better to have an experienced person diagnose the machine.
FYI…. An ATV is not an investment. It is a depreciating asset.

Reactions: 660catman

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,409 Posts
@TrentRD

IF YOU ARE TAKING IT TO A DEALERSHIP HAVE THEM DO A RECALL CHECK ON THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL BEFORE YOU GET IT BACK.

As mentioned an ATV isn't "an investment" it's a toy, most people on this forum were like you when they started their journey into ATV life, the less money people had the better they became as a mechanic on their machines.

Sometimes it's cheaper to invest in the tool to diagnose the problem than it is to buy the parts and hope they fix the problem, a tool is a solid investment that can serve you for a long time during your time as an owner/rider and can be used on any brand of machine even if you decide you don't want to ride Arctic Cat anymore.

A decent multi-meter is usually between $30-$1000, you can usually get an OK one from Harbor Freight or a similar store for $30-60 for testing things like Diodes and voltage regulators (my multi meter was $30 at a yard sale).

Diodes can't be visually inspected because they don't have a fuse-able link, sometimes if you don't have a multi meter an easy way to test a diode is to swap them to different positions, then test for other weird results.

I believe you would be better served to slow down on buying parts and spend some time reading the service manual and studying parts diagrams, taking diagnosis advice and running tests.

Rather than replace the carburetor it probably only required a quick cleaning, there are plenty of guides to clean them. Did you replace the carburetor with an OEM carburetor? Or a knockoff? Edit: The knockoff carburetors are notoriously bad and difficult to tune and adjust to perform the same as an OEM carburetor, MANY MANY PEOPLE have WASTED money on the knockoff carbs only to clean/service theirs, reinstall it and have the problem go away.

ATV Ownership is full of lessons (like all of life), there is usually an easy/cheap way to learn them (Taking advice, reading manuals, studying videos and diagrams, asking questions) or the hard/expensive way to learn them (personal injury, financial damages, injury to others, long walks home alone, being stranded). On this forum we prefer everyone to learn the easy/cheap way.

I've had a 2004 Cat 400 since 2009 now, I've personally put over 6500 miles on the odometer since I've gotten in, and had the engine rebuilt once by a dealer ($5000.... $1100 in parts, $3900 in labor) I realized after that I can buy a lot of tools and take a lot of time for $3900 in labor, since then I've done virtually EVERYTHING to my machine myself.

The 2008 400 that you have is my dream machine, there are lots of special things about that particular year/model, the 4.0 gearcases give it the most torque of any 400 series, the manual locking front differential gives it more traction than most modern machines, the stock ride height on stock tires was equal or higher than many larger more powerful machines, giving it incredible clearance on 26"-28" tires. (un-lifted old cats on 28" tires normally have equal or more ride height than Outlander 1000's on 30" tires with a lift kit)

You truly have a great machine and once this small issue is resolved you will get MANY MANY miles and years of usage from it.

I REPEAT: IF YOU ARE TAKING IT TO A DEALERSHIP HAVE THEM DO A RECALL CHECK ON THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL BEFORE YOU GET IT BACK.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any further issues you encounter on this forum there is a pile of available resources here and thousands upon thousands of hours of collective knowledge to be tapped and utilized.

·
Administrator
42,440 Posts
Well said !!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts