Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all so I've been stumped on this for awhile now I removed the fenders and went through the wire harness and found a few spots that had rubbed wires bare. I fixed the wires and then put another regulator and new battery in it along with a spare ecu I have and it smoked another regulator. I just got another oem regulator today and its still overcharging has anyone else had theses issues and found the problem. I'd sure like to figure it out any ideas.. . Thanks everyone

·
Administrator
20,004 Posts
Just from posted info, it “sounds to me” as if the wire (from regulator to ground (meant to bleed off excess voltage and keep limit intact) isn’t making contact somewhere along the way (smoking the regulator/rectifiers.

I’d start by BACK TRACING the auxiliary ground wiring to rec/reg harness connector, looking for an opening (not grounding to frame properly), because that sure what it sounds like is happening.

·
Administrator
20,004 Posts
Go to your reg/rec connector block, check this black wire (highlighted in red circled) for a good connection between frame and the pin (or socket?) in the connector block itself.

If you’re not getting a good connection (1-2 ohms maximum), this could well be your issue. Don’t mistake a solid feeling wire as gospel, moisture over time can and will infiltrate the harness, making for high resistance corrosion of the internal copper wiring.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update finally figured it out it was the fan diod. Thanks C-note for your input. The fan diode RAL 254 "diode symbol" 704 on my 2008 AC 700 efi 4x4 h1 se my next question is where can I buy a new one and ifi could get a model or part number. The only info I seem to be able to find is up to a 205 AC 650.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
That 650 diode would be fine, is my assumption.

I went to Radio Shack years ago and got a diode and used it because I had a ride and couldn't wait for shipping from the dealer. It's still on my atv. That's a least 6 years ago and 1500 miles.

·
Administrator
20,004 Posts
Update finally figured it out it was the fan diod. Thanks C-note for your input. The fan diode RAL 254 "diode symbol" 704 on my 2008 AC 700 efi 4x4 h1 se my next question is where can I buy a new one and ifi could get a model or part number. The only info I seem to be able to find is up to a 205 AC 650.
That diode only protects the fan from receiving too much voltage, and/or receiving voltage if polarity is reversed. If that’s bad, the fan will not receive its “ground” when needed, not any polarity changes due to accidental reversing of power leads anywhere.

Chances are, that something else caused your overcharging, and took out that diode in the process. Have you ever jump started unit, maybe using “Boost” setting on a charger? That could possibly cause this.

Or possible reversal of polarity (by accident of course, as mentioned 2 paragraphs above), as that will smoke diodes as well.

Below is wiring schematic in full size, that diode (circles and tagged in red) is nowhere near the portion(s) of the ground circuit required to bleed off excess voltage when required. As long as that black harness lead is grounded good, that’s all that’s required for voltage bleeding during operation of unit.... ?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't think of anything I personally did that would have toasted the diode. I did find 4 different spots in my harness that had several wires rubbed bare one of which was inside the frame up against the shifter I'm betting there's a good chance that's what burnt it up. Thanks for your help I really do appreciate it. I will definitely check my grounds some more I'd hate to finally get the diode and short it out too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts