Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you have read my sled arrived early in October and I waited until this past week to pick it up and take it out for the first ride.

I had the dealer set it up and look for all of the know issues, ECU, air in the coolant lines, etc. I had them put 20 miles on the new sled to test it as well. The sled was studded, had a 1.5" Ripsaw, Ohlins shocks, a rail brace kit, etc. etc installed. The sled was ready... I was ready and the trails had snow... :super_happy:

I arrived on the 24th late in the day and met the mechanic for a 300 mile trip the following Thursday morning. It was -22* at the start of the day. We topped of the tank and started hit the railbed. I made it 2.1 miles from the gas station. AFTER all of the posts, I sort of expected something to happen. The dealer picked me up at the road crossing. He offered me a loaner sled as well. I declined because I wanted to see what was the cause. The parts were ordered and were shipped next day to arrive on Monday. Due to a miscommunication the cylinders arrived on Tuesday. While I waited for the parts, I did take the dealer's sled out for a Saturday afternoon ride for 181 miles. On Sunday, I went to the local ice drags with the dealer as well. It was fun watching the grudge races. I'll post some of the picks later.

On Tuesday, the sled is put back together. No update from AC regarding the ECU. I was told to drive the sled like a dirt bike. The dealer/mechanic was not impressed. They even stripped an ECU from a new F1000 on the showroom floor to try. After trial and error, the mechanic checked the specs and tested my fuel pump. It only put out 20 PSI and s/b 42-47 PSI.

They pulled fuel pump from a XF 800 SP which was also in the showroom. After it was installed. The sled seemed to come alive. It is now 6 days since I picked up the sled. After the mechanic tested the sled for 20 + or - miles, I took it for the rest of the afternoon. It was 6* at the time. I put 65 miles on with no problems. :thumbsup:

So now we come to Thursday again. Another chance for a big trip. I fill up and meet the mechanic @ 7:00 am. Full tank of gas and away we go. 80+ miles. The sled is sipping fuel and oil. I top off the tank and average about 14 mpg. We head out and add another 91 miles. I believe the oil is just about burnt out of the tank. The sled takes 6.6 gallons. We eat lunch and head out for the ride back to Houlton. About 45 miles out... the sled shuts down. We fire it and one piston is down. 40 miles to go. I had a little oil left from the quart. I added to the tank as the mechanic recommended. Our plan was to get to a road or access. In the meantime, I was told to ride it varing the throttle between 30-60 mph to keep the good cylinder filled with shots of gas. As we cruised in this manor, the 2nd cylinder fired again. I limped the full 40 miles under its own power. NO TOW Straps... today.

It was Thurday evening, I knew the parts would not arrive until Monday so I cut my trip short. I rode 2.25 days out of 8 and did 500 miles. I counted my blessings and headed south to see my wife and watch the TV. I spoke to the dealer this morning. Both pistons are down again. 2 new pistons, cylinders, etc. on the way. The ECU was shipped to AC for an update. I go back the 10-18th with the wife. Any problems then, and I'll trade it in for a new machine.

As far as the ride, handling, etc. It is similar to the 06 XF700 EB except that it is heavier. It has alot more power/torque. The sled did not transfer the weight as well as the 700 but new Ohlins shocks were installed and some additional setup will be required.

Overall, when the sled ran it was awesome. It needs additional tweaking. After I (or I should say the dealer's mechanic) can get the sled to run consistantly, I will be able to address the ride and weight transfer.

For those of you who are wondering.... Yes I am frustrated, POed, etc. ... but to post it would be nothing different than what you have already read. I look forward to working with my dealer/mechanic to remedy the problems/issues.

As mentioned, I did 2 months of prep work to alleviate most of the potential problems. If you are having trouble with your sled running lean, test the fuel pump as well. LOL.

A few pics of the races:

[attachment=62751:DSC03980.JPG] [attachment=62752:DSC03979.JPG]

[attachment=62672:MOV03978.MPG][attachment=62673:MOV03981.MPG][attachment=62674:
MOV03982.MPG][attachment=62676:MOV03983.MPG][attachment=62677:MOV03984.MPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles , man. I had a very similar story, and there are more like you too.

Good dealer is worth their weight in gold. My dealer got me a totally new sled as he didn't feel motor work was going to solve the problem. He felt ECU issue all along. Ironically, the new sled was pig rich and almost caught on fire!! Now I have a remapped ECU and all seems well so far...holding my breath :)

Anyways, despite all the supposed R&D it is the price we pay for buying a first year motor... I'd still do it again though :)

Bet she'll run forever with the new ECU...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the post. I followed your troubles as well. I agree 100% that the dealer is doing what they can. We did have a delay in the initial parts order but the dealer has done everything in their power to keep it alive. The mechanic is awesome. NO BS! He has done everything to get it running as consistant as possible with everything that is available.

BTW... My dealer is a sponsor on the site. Houlton Power Sports.

I spoke to the sales/parts manager and he told me that the ECU went back to the factory as well. The first time they did not have the update ready. Anyway. Glad to hear the sled is running well. I agree. I took my chances with a new motor but I would still do it again. The last time I had a problem was in 1998 when the ZR 600 EFI pistons were recalled. Bad piston skirts. I lucked out and mine never went down with 2500 miles on it. I guess I was due.

Anyway, if the problem isn't resolved I will look to trade for a different model. For now, I'll deal with it in a positive way. Nothing is melted, and as soon as AC remaps the ECU, I hope to be putting on many miles. We still have at least six weeks of winter.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
my cf 1000 was shooting flames past my feet . it would only do it after letting off after a hard pull after break in of course. dealers are worth they`re weight in gold if you find a good one . the part that really pissed me off is a.c. sent out all these new sleds and didn`t send software for the mech to plug them in . felt bad after i reamed them out but i apologizeds and all is good . they took a ecu out of a crate sled and have had no problems since. still runs a bit rich though. by the way i drive 3 hours past the local dealer for this kind of service

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fort mac orange monster @ Feb 6 2007, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
my cf 1000 was shooting flames past my feet . it would only do it after letting off after a hard pull after break in of course. dealers are worth they`re weight in gold if you find a good one . the part that really pissed me off is a.c. sent out all these new sleds and didn`t send software for the mech to plug them in . felt bad after i reamed them out but i apologizeds and all is good . they took a ecu out of a crate sled and have had no problems since. still runs a bit rich though. by the way i drive 3 hours past the local dealer for this kind of service[/b]

They didn't have another CF1000 to pull the ECU from... they did try the F1000 ECU. The fuel pump they pulled from the XF800 on the showroom floor.

I have the same sentiments, I drive 4 hours for the service I received. I only became upset when the parts manager failed to order the cylinders on the first day that the sled went down. All other parts were in stock. They were ordered the following Monday and came in on Tuesday. The sled went down on Thursday morning prior.

In a way, it wasn't the parts manager's fault. I found out that initially, AC ordered a delay on the work until Friday morning. They wanted the motor, Y Pipe, etc. then changed to just the cylinders. After it was repaired the first time, we (the mechanic) tested it around the shop for 20 miles. Then I took it for a 65 mile cruise Wednesday afternoon. Thursday on the 2nd trip it went down on the way back. I really only road it 1.25 days while I was there for week. 360 miles on the chassis. 20 miles on the 1st motor, and 340 miles on the 2nd motor. Trial #3 is the 10-18th.

As mentioned, I did receive an offer for a loaner sled. It just wasn't the same.... T660 ST vs. XF1000. I did ride it on Saturday afternoon for 6 hours and cruised 181 miles.

Are you still running the ECU from the showroom sled? Did it have a remapped ECU already in it?

·
Registered
691 Posts
WOW!!! Sorry to hear that guys! Hopeto hear soon to see if they found anything. As far for my 07 F1, I know it's only got 118 miles but man it's running so strong. Getting faster everymile that is put onto it. My dealer verified my VIN withCat and it doesn't need the ECU update. The sled is strong and handles great BUT what I don't understand is all the people with F8, F1 CX8 and CX1 having so many problems and some dont. I must of seen and talked to a dozen of people where I live that has the CX1 and F1 and one word only..SWEET.....Is this dealer prepped or Cat's changing on sleds.....I just find this weird since it's all a go or nothing at all. Pease let us know what they find and hopefully all the sleds will be 100%. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
I'm happy I got 1000 miles on trouble free! Goodluck!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticBoy @ Feb 8 2007, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mktgway @ Feb 8 2007, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm happy I got 1000 miles on trouble free! Goodluck![/b]
Absolutely very happy to hear the good news on your sled.
[/b][/quote]

Same Here. :beer_cheers:

I have read others putting on carefree miles as well. FYI... I don't see my problems as part of dealer prep. A bad fuel pump and then the ECU. The sled ran awesome as I put more miles on the second motor. It would sip oil and fuel. I averaged 13.8 mpg and the Jag I ran with averaged about 15 on the same section of trail. He had 1200+ miles on his sled and I was still breaking mine in.

What was really weird is when the sled went down the first time... the piston expanded so it would not fit back into the cylinder. The mechanic had never seen this happen before. Anyway, I head out Sunday... Hope to be riding Monday morning.

I talked to the dealer, ECU is back and sled was being tested yesterday. I'll post my findings upon my return. If it's running like it should... I may be back when the snow melts. :tongue_nana:

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sno Pilot @ Feb 9 2007, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticBoy @ Feb 8 2007, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mktgway @ Feb 8 2007, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm happy I got 1000 miles on trouble free! Goodluck![/b]
Absolutely very happy to hear the good news on your sled.
[/b][/quote]

Same Here. :beer_cheers:

I have read others putting on carefree miles as well. FYI... I don't see my problems as part of dealer prep. A bad fuel pump and then the ECU. The sled ran awesome as I put more miles on the second motor. It would sip oil and fuel. I averaged 13.8 mpg and the Jag I ran with averaged about 15 on the same section of trail. He had 1200+ miles on his sled and I was still breaking mine in.

What was really weird is when the sled went down the first time... the piston expanded so it would not fit back into the cylinder. The mechanic had never seen this happen before. Anyway, I head out Sunday... Hope to be riding Monday morning.

I talked to the dealer, ECU is back and sled was being tested yesterday. I'll post my findings upon my return. If it's running like it should... I may be back when the snow melts. :tongue_nana:
[/b][/quote]
Good Luck, Sno-Pilot...Hope the problems you've been having lately goes away once mechanic corrects all of them as necessary. :sure_ok:

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
I have been getting between 14-15 mpg and 150 miles a qt oil, but it's rich yet alot of black on side of exhaust. As of yet I have not heard of recalls on it. I will ck with dealer today.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have about 850 miles on mine now. Other than the tunnel issue, it has been an excellent sled with no other issues. Mine too seems to be a bit rich on the low end which seems to be amplified by the colder temps (-15 to -25 F).

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticBoy @ Feb 9 2007, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[Good Luck, Sno-Pilot...Hope the problems you've been having lately goes away once mechanic corrects all of them as necessary. :sure_ok:[/b]

Thanks... I leave in the morning...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mktgway @ Feb 9 2007, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have been getting between 14-15 mpg and 150 miles a qt oil, but it's rich yet alot of black on side of exhaust. As of yet I have not heard of recalls on it. I will ck with dealer today.[/b]

My mileage and oil consumption is about the same on good trails... I averaged 13.8 picking my way in marginal snow and cruising on rail beds. Oil consumption was low as well. My sled is black on the belly pan with only 360 miles on it.

I did speak to the dealer and mechanic. ECU is remapped and sled is ready. I'll start adding some miles on Monday. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just returned from my 2+ plus week up north.... Still fighting with the ECU and now AC to replace the sled.

I arrived Sunday night in Houlton, Maine and showed up at the dealership Monday morning to take the sled out for a test ride with the remapped ECU. My wife and I drove 6 miles to the gas station. Topped off the sleds and left for her first ride of the season. It ended 2.5 miles later with the sled going down again.

We towed it back to the dealership. Picked up a loaner and went for a ride. Upon my return, I found the parts were ordered for motor #4 (425 miles on the sled). The sled wasn't going to be ready until Wednesday. So we traveled by car to Grand Falls, NB to visit her family.

On Wednesday, we return and take the sled out for another test ride. Same ECU, just ran 93 octance gas. No problems a little rich. We were told by AC was completeing another mapping on the ECU. It arrived on Friday afternoon and was installed on Saturday morning. My sled had the Square injector ECU and AC swapped it for a Triangle ECU (peeled the sticker and replaced it with the square ECU sticker) The Triangle ECU when installed was so rich that it literally turned the belly pan black with raw fuel being dumped out of the exhaust. On a good note, it did not burn down but fuel consumption went from 15 mpg to 9mpg. bang your head

On Sunday morning, I left the sled at the dealership and asked them to swap my parts to a new XF 1000. I wasn't dealing with it any more. In one month's time, I was able to log on only 877 miles in 27+ hours of riding. 100 miles was done by the mechanic testing the ECUs.

I have had 4+ weeks available to ride and lost not only ride time, but hotel expenses, and ruined 3+ days of my annual trip with my wife. I spoke to Judy at AC legal department and explained the issues. I was blown off. I was told that the technical department will be correcting the issue with my dealer. My dealer had contacted Brandon at AC multiple times. They have been waiting for a solution to the problem. In the meantime, I am the only one losing.

As stated, I am waiting to hear from AC and my dealer now. My sled has been in and out of the shop for problems with the ECU over 8 times. 3 motors later and lots of wasted time. I am hoping it is just my sled. I have not heard of many crossfires with the same problem. I have inspected my tunnel and have found no issues to date.

I'll post an update when I have something to share. :thumbsup:

BTW... the fuel pump from the 800 and 1000 are identical. They ordered a new one for the sled on the show room floor. I now have a total of 5 cylinders, a fuel pump, 3 ECUs, etc. of warranty work. It's almost enough to start drinking :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey sno pilot

Man I hope I have better luck with my new xfire...The reason I ask is because the day you wrote your post on the 3rd I thought was the day they swapped your fuel pump..I bought that xfire 800 that day and picked up that sled on monday the 5th and was wondering about the fuel pump thing..I know many dealers especially ones that will go above and beyonf to get you on the snow will and have stripped parts befor..I just wanted to make sure I didnt have the bad pump in mine..I havent been able to ride it yet because of an accident I had on my 06 xfire..

1 - 20 of 50 Posts